Widdowmakers Carbon foot print reducer..... (pics updated)

Discussion in 'Other Performance Marques' started by Widdowmaker, May 2, 2008.

1. Willo

Willo New Member

I like it a lot. Very nice Jim. Very nice run-a-round 8)

2. Widdowmaker

Widdowmaker Well-Known Member

Well Courtney hasnt beenwell lately - running really ruff, and just being a pain in the @ss really, so it was time to seek professional help.

But alas - no garage i went to wanted to touch a little old Single point injection mini - to complicated and far to temprimental for a garage with no real knowledge to look at/diagnose - let alone fix.

So I set about it myself - with some encouragement from Bubble.

Changed a few things and found the fusebox to be completly goosed. Replaced that - and shes a runner again, till the wheel bearings died...... Again - to much for me.... sooooooo

Well -I found a pretty nifty little Garage very local to myself - Said he would look at the car, and confirmed it was the bearings. I wouldnt need to buy anything else, but If I wanted to - I could go and get all the parts that I needed/wanted.

I bought, bearings, hubs and top and bottom ball joints, pretty good job I did really - what a mess.... Totally shot, and to boot the front discs and pads are well shot too.

I picked the car up today - and shot straight down to minisport for a diagnostic test on the rolling road. The car checked out fine - with all pistons reading well on the compression test on the oscilloscope. We ran through all the things I had had done.

Leads, plugs, Dizzy, new rad cap, clean air filter, new relays and fusebox, and sat on the rolling road it was still hunting a wee bit.

Switched off and gave her a blast of cleaning spray into the inlet/fulinjector, and she wouldnt start. Would turn. After the 5th or 6 go, she fired up, and revved like a trooper, with no black smoke.

A light run on the rollers detected an electrical fault - identified by a slightly stuttery rev counter - and when level was reading under. (the car has been horribly chopped about by the previous owner - the fault could be anywhere.)

A few more checks, and the Gent running the road said..... "youve done almost everything you can, its sounding well, I am happy to for go any more tests and give it a power run."

And off she ran. I was asked what I was expecting. Well - its slightly modified with a stage 1/2 head, a k&n filter, heating system removed - so really I was hoping for standard at least - 68 bhp....

hmmmmm - brum brum, bruuuuummmmmmm.

73.5 at the fly - 71 lbf torque - top speed of 98 mph at 6280 rpm. The powercurve was steady all the way, but with slight wavering on the torque curve at the top, indicating a possible fueling issue. Recommendation to change the fuel filter. Final over all was its a solid little runner, with little to no mechanical issues.

And the electric fan started up as well, cracking job - but i think the bearings have gone in that. So Courtney goes back into Chester Street Garage tommorow at 8 am, for the CV joints(which went crack on the test run after the bearing where fitted) to be changed, and a fuel filter.

I am one well chuffed mini owner - Courtney got treated to a wash and a Meguirs extreme polish as soon as we got home tonight - and tommorow afternoon we are going to Holbeach near Spalding in Lincolnshire - to give her a good run out.

The 8/8/8 has been a superb day.

3. mickp

mickp Well-Known Member

Bit of work there Jim but well worth the effort.

Brings back good memories looking at the pics :D