Impreza virgin seeking advice

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Tenbags, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Tenbags

Tenbags New Member

Hi all, i've just bought my first impreza a 2007 hawkeye wrx sl and i love it to bits even though i've only done 200 miles in 2 weeks. It only has 23k on the clock with full Subaru history. Now i thought it would be a great buy and i wouldn't have to spend a lot of money on it but once it was on my drive and on closer inspection the front tyres were dangerously cracked because of the lack of use it's had. i replaced these and fit an STI spoiler which looks fantastic and it goes in tomorrow for a full timing belt kit and service for peace of mind, but after cleaning the car yesterday i noticed the exhaust was blowing quite badly, now this is where i need advice, from the backbox the pipe goes to what looks like a cat but after scouring the t'internet it's called a resonator? is this true coz the pipe going into it from the backbox is in danger of snapping and it's another cost i could do without! i will try and get my mechanic mate tomorrow to do a repair on this but if i'm after replacing the backbox and this cat/resonator what am i looking for in termanology and size wise 2.5" or 3"? if i replace these would i need a remap and how much do these cost roughly? Thanks for reading and appologies for the long message but i thought i would share the history and position the car is in now

2. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

hi. the piece of pipe your refering to is called the center section, there is no cat in this section just a resonator that doesnt really do owt! you can get a newage fitment one in 2.5"stainless for aprox £75 and use your standard back box or replace it with a stainless one prices start around £150, usually the 3"pipes are a different shape and exit the car at an angle so watch out for fitment as they nead there own center section to match,also the car will not need a remap changing only these pipes, jason
    ps there is a lad in burnley selling a complete 2 piece exhaust 0n ebay £100 youll have to look in completed listings its ended unsold
    hope this helps mate

3. Tenbags

Tenbags New Member

Cheers Jason i'm currently trawling the internet for a stainless 2.5" centre pipe and backbox, tried to look for the guy from Burnley on ebay but found someone from Padiham with an oval backbox which isnt what i wanted. Thanks for your reply about what exhaust is best and how it works, Terry.

4. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

This was the one i meant Look at this on eBay:

SUBARU IMPREZA NEW AGE GDA 2001-2006 CAT BACK STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST SYSTEM

http://bit.ly/14vErZm

5. Tenbags

Tenbags New Member

Thanks for the info Jason but Brian@cams sorted me out with a prodrive exhaust this week, only got the car back from having work done an hour ago and I think the exhaust is just nice not too loud. Remap next methinks.......;)