General Exhaust Question

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Swordmaster, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Swordmaster

Swordmaster New Member

Not so far, but if I do, those involved in helping me with this project will be the first to know.

I have been sorting some of the vibration issues. I would also like to get a reliable 200bhp first. The tune I got also has some issues.

If I can get 225bhp, that would be amazing. But geting the last 1500 rpm to function correctly is my main aim at the moment.

regards

the swordmaster

2. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Andrew means the actual heads themselves, if the ports are small then the flow will be restricted, same with the cams if you haven't got much lift it'll restrict the breathing. You could try matching the inlet manifold to the inlet ports to aid flow, also knife edging the throttle butterfly will help.

What are you using in the way of a filter?

3. Swordmaster

Swordmaster New Member

Filter - K&N Cone

Heads as in what the headers attach to?

Would porting the heads help?

the swordmaster

4. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Yep, the whole set up that carries the complete valve train, porting the inlet ports to match the inlet manifold runners would aid flow and reduce turbulence, and can be done if careful with them still attached to the block.

Have you checked the SC spec to make sure that you're not past its flow potential and you're not just running out of air due to it not being able to flow anymore.

5. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

That was another one of my thoughts, don't suppose you have a compressor map of the SC do you?

I would have thought that sport cams would be much less aggressive than turbo cams.

Timing is usually in the ignition map :)

Andrew...

6. Swordmaster

Swordmaster New Member

I'm well with in the spec of the charger, it's still to break into a sweat.

the swordmaster

7. Swordmaster

Swordmaster New Member

I don't have a map unfortuately. Just the specifications.
    Is less aggressive cams a good thing?

I'll have a look at the map

thanks

the swordmaster

8. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Agressive cams tend to have higher lift and duration allowing more air and fuel in, if you can't get the air/fuel mix in it'll feel strangled. Have you had a wideband lambda sensor on it to see what the fuelling is like, also is you K&N boxed in so it only breathes cold air, and what's the pipework run like, and I assume you're using some form of intercooler?

9. Swordmaster

Swordmaster New Member

I have not got a wide band, but I'm not looking to adjust the fuel and spark maps, just the auxillary control maps at this stage.

The K&N is not boxed in, but is by the unblocked side panel.

Intercooler is a Legacy Turbo chargecooler.

regards

the swordmaster

10. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Just be aware that the pipework route for a turbo or SC is just as important as that of an exhaust and any tight runs will effect flow and compressor efficiency.

The reason I ask about whether the fuelling has been checked on a WB is that too much fuel isn't going to help matters.

11. Swordmaster

Swordmaster New Member

The pipework from the charger to the chargecooler is routed the best that could be achieved, probably a better run that achievable with a FMIC.

The car has already been "professionally" mapped so I would think that that should be ok. Might need a further look after the exhaust goes on.

I need to look at the car one issue at a time, I'm not looking for max power, but drivability thoughout the rev-range, at the moment that rev range only goes to 5k not 6.5K. I'm sure that the exhaust will go some way to achieving that as it will be designed with the upgrades I have rather than a standard bolt on system.

regards

swordmaster