F1 2014 - Regulation changes

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by thunderousity, Jan 8, 2014.

1. thunderousity

thunderousity Member

Interesting read about the new F1 technical changes and what they mean, how the car may look and how the new V6 turbo engine might perform.

Bit about dump valves, turbos and lag for us turbo freaks to get excited about ;-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25158104

However I still think the BTCC is more interesting to watch.

2. Great to see IMO.
    Car tax and fuel costs are driving the average motorist into smaller & smaller engine cars, so any work on producing more power from less CC will ultimately benefit us all.

It also stick one on the Yanks –

“There ain't no replacement for displacement” - Yes there is – “Technology” :wink: :lol:

3. snowball scoob

snowball scoob New Member

this is why toyota bought into yamaha -- if yamaha can get 200+bhp out of 1000cc then chances are toyota will try to find more............. :)

imagine if will a toyota aygo with 200+bhp ;) it'll give any scoob a run for it's money............

4. thunderousity

thunderousity Member

I'd rather hear a big american v8 razzing down the track though.

Tbh I'll be dead before the F1 tech makes any difference to production cars.

I'll be in heaven cruising around in my V8 muscle and V12 exotica.

5. ProdriveWagon

ProdriveWagon 3rd Scoob = an ej20 engined Hatch

REALLY ?

6. thunderousity

thunderousity Member

When my name is in the "in memory of" section you can check then ;-)

Apart from the McLaren P1 and KERS I can't recollect any recent F1 derived tech that has really influenced your average production car. Maybe when KERS is introduced into a Mondeo. But like I say I'll be dead by then ;-)

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I am genuinely interested to know if there are any.

I know F1 has influenced other non-automotive areas.

7. scalesy

scalesy New Member

Lol BMW's SMG in the M cars bit of useful f1 tech 8)

8. thunderousity

thunderousity Member

Good call Scalesy - Luckily I didn't make my bold statement about my demise 10 years ago.

Here's an interesting article about top 10 car tech from racing. Not strictly F1. This mentions SMG and the Ferrari equivalent.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the ... racing.htm