your thoughts on Oil...

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by MrDBM, Sep 11, 2004.

1. MrDBM

MrDBM New Member

hi all,

looking over my scoobs service history (whilst trying to find the cd player release code[:I]) Ive noticed that its had quite a history when it comes to oil type. Its had;

5w-30 GTX Magnatex (Stan Ps)
    Havoline Extra 10/40w (AJs)
    Silolene Pro F/S (Scoobysport)
    Taxaco X1 Extra (AJs)

What everyones preference for UK classics? I think I preferred the magnatex stuff?

2. jim litten

jim litten New Member

I use Motul 300v 15w50.

3. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

same as Jim, though more recently tried Millers. Found it better for cold starts.

4. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

I use Castrol RS10/60 now changed every 2,500miles (but I only do about 4K per year).

I wouldn use anything lighter than 10w40 and think that a heavier oil is better if you regularly push the car hard and/or it is heavily modified.

Andrew...

5. MrDBM

MrDBM New Member

TunnelMeister, interesting what you said about cold starts, the Havoline stuff doesn seem to cope too well. Might give Motul 300v 15w50 a go.

6. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

Suggest you speak to Rich at Jap Innovations, they sorted me out with Millers and I believe Rich uses it in his own cars.

7. Godzilla

Godzilla New Member

Have tried various oils in my cars over the years.

Motul 15w50 is excellent, but for my money its a bit too thick for winter use, especially if you have a tendency to do short journeys.

I agree with Andrew on Castrol RS 10w60. I think its probably the best oil around. And I also wouldn put anything less than a 10w40 in a Subaru. Its just too thin and if you are a hard driver it will be goosed in no time. 5w30 is no good, especially if the car is modded.

More recently tried Millers 10w60 which is also pretty darn good and works out cheaper than Castrol.

Never used Magnatec, but heard some horror stories about it causing coking problems.

Rich

8. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

I bought 4x4ltrs of Castrol for £99 delivered which is a pretty good price, I know Prosport recommend Millers as well so I may have to give it a try when I run out of Castrol in about 2007!

Andrew...

9. ashy

ashy New Member

hiya all

millers is good but if you deive normal and dont bash your pride and joy to death everywere you can t do better than castrol magnatex 10/40 great for short journeys and cold starts change the oil on regular basis and you wont have any problems also when you start from cold let engine idle to let oil get around the engine hope this helps

10. scoobyphil2000

scoobyphil2000 No there not new wheels

millers in mine[:)]

11. Blingscooby

Blingscooby Active Member

Castrol RS 10w60 in my 93 import[:D]

12. zero260

zero260 New Member

I used to do the Laboratory reports for Castrol regarding engine wear and they always came out on top. The main thing they measure is the parts per million of silicon they find in your engine oil and Castrol always had the lowest compared to all its competitors. Thats why I use Castrol RS.[;)]

13. BUNGLE

BUNGLE New Member

I put millers in mine every 3000 miles[:)]

14. steve@cotcomp

steve@cotcomp LADS Sponsor & Techno Bod

If you uprate your car why not uprate your oil?

Millers 10w60 is the way forward!

15. fireman sam

fireman sam New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by steve@cotcomp</i>
    <br />If you uprate your car why not uprate your oil?

Millers 10w60 is the way forward!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Got to agree with Steve..........i have to, thats what hes just put in mine[:D][;)]

16. steve@cotcomp

steve@cotcomp LADS Sponsor & Techno Bod

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zero260</i>
    <br />I used to do the Laboratory reports for Castrol regarding engine wear and they always came out on top. The main thing they measure is the parts per million of silicon they find in your engine oil and Castrol always had the lowest compared to all its competitors. Thats why I use Castrol RS.[;)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Very interesting, can you tell us more[?]
    Like what other oil makes did they compare with[?]
    and which engine components does the silicon come from[?][:p]