Yeek! - full throttle hesitations/fuel cuts!!!

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Graphite, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Graphite

Graphite 23rd June 2016 - Vote LEAVE EU!

:shock: - horrible drive yesterday, hit my favourite bit of road for some 'pedal to the metal' driving and wasn't far along and got a nasty jerk & no power sensation, backed off throttle and carried on & it occured again. I got to the motorway and crusing at 3000 rpm, push foot to floor and jerk, pull, jerk, pull... this was repeatable :cry: - it wasn't nice - non full throttle seems to still pull OK though ???? - whats going on?

History:
    ~ a year ago I had a small problem with this - then the car failed to start - traced it to a melted fuel pump connector block under the driver side of the back seat (apparently a common problem in classics :shock: ) - removed damaged wires and reconnected. It was then fine after this.

A month ago of so fitted new 17" wheels... :? - I think it might have started there :shock: :wink:
    On the way to ScoobyTeknix a couple of weeks ago I noticed a couple of these 'hestations' on WOT whilst playing with a biker on the link road.

2 weeks ago had a decat centre from KevC fitted at ScoobyTeknix (thanks guys :wink: )

Last weekend loaned car to a mate who only used it for 60 miles or so but may have filled up the fuel with a couple of gallons of 'non-V-Power' fuel :shock:

So is maybe the ECU learning with the better flow now one cat is missing or possible a few gallons of lower quality fuel has affected it, or is it something completely different.

Actually thinking about it, when I did the RR day at TEG a couple of years ago there was a 'step' in my power curve :cry: - I was advised it might be ECU learning as I had just started using Optimax fuel...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mick :mrgreen:

2. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

How much fuel in the tank when it did this?

Do you have a boost gauge?

3. Graphite

Just under 1/2 tank of fuel... round trip of ~ 40 miles & I topped up with £30 worth of V-Power when I got home.

I don't have a boost guage...

From the TEG plot my boost peaks sharply at about 3000 rpm ~ 1.08 bar & drops to ~ 0.9ish to ~ 5600rpm.

Would it help to scan any of the RR plots? or are they too out of date or irelevant to what is happening now?

Cheers

4. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Std ECU?

1.08 bar could be very close to fuel cut depending on what ECU you have, changing a section of the exhaust may have just tipped you over the edge.

Andrew...

5. Graphite

Homer moment... DOH! - hadn't thought of that... I also have a STi7 rear box which will also be freer flowing - so that could be it.

[​IMG]

Don't know if that helps...

Is there a way round this without spending a fortune on a mappable ECU?

Cheers

Mick

6. Graphite

Here are the other plots if this helps the 'doctors' diagnosis... :wink:

AFR
    [​IMG]

Torque

[​IMG]

Cheers

7. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

What breathing mods have you got, ie what's fitted before and after the turbo :wink:

Might need a smaller restictor in the pipe from the boost solenoid back to the inlet or if your WG actuator has an adjustable arm try taking a turn off that.

Andrew...

8. Graphite

Pretty much standard... Pipercross panel filter in inlet & the 2 exhaust sections as mentioned above - that's all...

It has an easy life mostly - wife driving to & from work - she's quite happy to drive quickly - but not aggressively :lol: