XXXs Engine Rebuild

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Triple X, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

No bloody wonder the company is on its knees! [:0] (saying that though, porting my bits wouldnt help the company any [:D])

2. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Latest in the saga is that i picked my inlet manifold and rocker covers up today after they were treated to a bit of powder coating. Chuffed to bits with the job that "Fast Line Coatings" did for me and with the more than fair prices they charge i cant recommend them enough!
    [:D][:D][:D]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/T ... G_0340.jpg

3. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Look good John, one thing though, theyve powder coated were the injectors sit which might cause problems with refitting them, or have they masked that and you haven removed it yet?

4. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

I noticed that Jim (hawk eye), will see how i get on but if need be i will carefully try and thin the coating in the reccesses.

5. ELV1S

ELV1S Administrator

Looks fantastic John [:D]

6. Scoobydobydoo

Scoobydobydoo Lifetime and founder member

Nice one john!

Do they glow in the Dark lol[:D]

7. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

They do look better than i expected i must say.

They might glow if they get hot enough but with the insulated spacers they should be cooler than before! [:D]

8. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

<b><u>ORIGINALLY POSTED BY SCOOBY TOWERS IN ANOTHER THREAD:</u></b>

Hows the rebuild coming on Triple ?
    Noticed youd been off sick - had a certain USA box arrived?[:D]

9. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Rebuild is slow but picking up pace, pistons and rods should be here in under 2 weeks, got the fanimold and a couple of other bits powder coated this week so gunna get the manifold rebuilt, going to get the other bits i need ordered so when the bits from the US arrive i can get the machining and balancing done. Also got some ARP headstuds off a guy on SN pretty cheap this week! Need to look at whats involved in converting my fuel rails to parrallel.

10. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

<u><b>ORIGINALLY POSTED BY ANDREW C IN ANOTHER THREAD:</b></u>

John,

Jim has just done his rails in a much more economical/less bling way than me [:D] , although his aren parallel hes replaced all the OEM pipework and can convert to parallel really easily.

Parallel rails are actually pretty easy to do especially if you have the manifold off already.

Both our rails were converted to JIC fittings by Martin Fox (MEF on here/22B/SNet).

Who did the powder coating for you?

Andrew...

11. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Andrew i like the sound of bling, want things to look as good as possible. When you say MEF converted them to JIC fittings what needs doing? Cutting and brazing the new fittings on? If you have any pics that i could look at could you forward me some, will probably get them done by someone and use one of Cords fuel splitters. Hes also made some nice insulating spacers.

The powder coating was done by a place on Wellfield Industrial Estate, "Fast Line Coatings". I pick the bits up today, got the manifold and rocker covers done for £75 which i thought was fair considering the state the manifold was in when i handed it over.

12. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

<u><b>ORIGINALLY POSTED BY ANDREW C IN ANOTHER THREAD:</b></u>

Aha, I asked them about powedercoating my FMIC can remember what they quoted but it seemed reasonable. Might be putting some work their way then, seems a shame not too as they are on my doorstep [:D]

Yes he brazed on some threaded -6 AN fittings to the ends of the actual rails plus they are bright zinc coated and clear passivated (WTF that means - they
    e shiney).

Jim has used the Blue Mocal/Think tubing but I used all Goodridge parts which cost way too much. We also both used SX fuel regs which eliminate the need for a splitter in the returns from the rails as they have 2 inlets.

Ill send you some pics.

Andrew...

13. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

<u><b>ORIGINALLY POSTED BY JIM LITTEN IN ANOTHER THREAD:</b></u>

With using the mocal EPS push on fittings and 4 meters of hose it only came to £70 delivered, using the Goodridge hose and the bling fittings (exact same number) quote from Oakbray came to £240, on top of that SX reg, rails modified it was a fair chunk, hence going with the mocal stuff.

The mocal hose is 3/8 so slightly bigger than the goodridge kit and requires a bit of ingenuity to get it to seal on the filter and tank return, having done all this theres a shed load of room around the manifold now.

14. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

<u><b>ORIGINALLY POSTED BY JIM LITTEN IN ANOTHER THREAD:</b></u>

clear passivate coating is what gives the slightly gold look to it all.

15. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Might get myself an SX reg as ive heard the FSE type isnt good for certain boost levels ie high? The splitter Cord makes is a neat little unit, with both the incoming fuel splitter and outgoing in one, youve probably seen them, think im going to use one of them.

Like the sound of the Mocul prices Jim, youll have to let me know about the ingenuity side of things. Might have to get in touch with MEF too.

16. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Martins away at the mo, don know whether it was just a week or not. He got mine done as a rush job, drop them off at 1pm last thursday and he phoned me up two hours later asking if I wanted to pick them up that evening!!!!

Hes done a great job on the brazing, infact he even shot blasted mine before they went for coating as they were a bit scabby to say the least.

17. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Well hes entered for the North West Stages Rally next weekend so I guess hell be back before then.

Andrew...

18. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

No rush, plenty to do in the meantime!

19. jim litten

jim litten New Member

When I was round there hed only just put the box back in after the destruction of anglsey, and was trying to work out how to mount the rear arb onto his newly made rose jointed parallel arms.

20. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Got my hands on some Gruppe S headers and V2 Up pipe, ARP Head Stud kit, ACL Bearings going to order the crank, oil pump and gaskets probably tommorrow. Pick up my gearbox also tommorrow from TEG. Pistons and rods shouldnt be too long now i hope!

Once them bits arrive i can get the machining done and start putting the damn thing back together. [:)]