XXXs Engine Rebuild

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Triple X, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

I think thats the route i wil take Andrew as the Pistons look in really good nick, the bores look good, still see the honing marks, although will be taking the block to a machinist to be checked out more thouroughly. So i think i will like you say change all the seals, bearings, pump and everything else youd expect. But also going to get a new exhaust manifold and i might get the heads ported too as well as reshimming the buckets.

I really do want to build a block with uprated internals which is something i will probably do over time next year, it not only gives me more time to look into and plan things better but also i can get the bits as and when i can afford to do so. Might be back on the road before too long!

2. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

That sounds like a great plan.

Just been reading over the thread on SNet, and IIRC didn you notice highish oil temps prior to the last oil change and subsequent failure?

Andrew...

3. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

We questioned the oil temp on the run to Jap Innovations didnt we?! It did seem slightly high for the speed we were cruising at.

It is possible i suppose that the PRV on the oil pump could have momentarily stuck prior to the oil change/run to JI causing some damage to the bearing which eventually got worse especially when firing the car up after the change. We will never know for sure, the best we can do is try and eliminate these things by getting certain upgraded parts i guess. [:)]

4. Andy.McCord

Andy.McCord New Member

Any more news John?

5. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Hi Andy, the latest news is that i ordered my rods and pistons on monday![:D]

Theyre coming from a place in the US, Wiseco pistons and Pauter rods, the rods will be ready in 3-6 weeks so the lot will be sent as soon as.

Plenty to do in the mean time though, strip and repaint the inlet manifold, replace the valve stem oil seals, and try and get everything spotless! Oh yeah and my gear box will be looked at for the syncrhos which seem to be made from blue-tac. [:(!]

Also need to get STi 9 crank, gaskets, seals, exhaust manifold, bearings, oil pump, oil/water heat exchanger....... [xx(]

So although ive been quite with this thread ive been busy doing some research, watch this space.[;)]

6. Andy.McCord

Andy.McCord New Member

Excellent news John, coming along nicely, whos looking at your gearbox 4 u?

7. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

I will be taking it to Prosport i think, not trusting that place in Preston who did it last time, get it done properly!

No joy shifting yours[?]

8. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Have you tried TEG for looking at your gearbox?

9. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Nope, dont know much ewt about them, tell me more.

10. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

11. Andy.McCord

Andy.McCord New Member

No interest John really, but ive not exactly pulled my tripe out trying to shift it, not to bothered at the moment mate, where are you getting the rebore done at?

12. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Cheers Steve.[:)] Will take a look!

Andy, rebore will be done by a guy in Bamber Bridge, Billy Bannisters his name and engines are his game, well recommended!

13. Cord

Cord New Member

And don forget youve got some porting to do while its all in bits!!!

14. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

I wont forget, youll make sure of that Cord! [8D]

15. Cord

Cord New Member

Bring them in when Im on the other end of the week. It will give me something to do and stop me getting bored on sundays!!!

16. jim litten

jim litten New Member

As for TEG, they run Colin Mcraes old Corsica WRC98 for one customer, and build grpN imprezas for numerous people, all to Prodrive Spec, they are also dealers for MODENA gear kits, etc., wouldn try phoning them for a few days as they
    e down at AUTOSPORT International at the NEC.

17. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Cheers for the info Jim, what are their prices like? Sounds like they could be expensive from your brief description!

18. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Oh and Cord, might just do that! Have you had plenty of practise as i would be trusting you with my beloved heads, etc?! I have to ask. [:)]

19. jim litten

jim litten New Member

They
    e cheaper than Prosport, best give em a ring next week when they
    e back, the main man is Stuart Newby.

20. Cord

Cord New Member

on second thoughts I prefer sleeping on a sunday, so no Ive never touched an engine before in my life!!! [:p]