wrx impreza bug eye 2001,,,turbo help.update 19-8-12.help

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by jawimpreza, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jawimpreza

jawimpreza New Member

hi got my old bugeye back...the problem is the turbo doesnt feel like its working as it should....the oil was low and the boost falls from 0.7bar as it doesnt hold the boost that long. plus when coming in to boost .turbo makes a squealing noise when on boost and a friend told me when i put my foot down he said its shoulded like a hair dryer sound.well i think its the turbo..the car is standard apart from a forge dv and a s/s exhaust from cat...av checked all boost and vac pipes and there ok plus i fitted a new dv spring as it was broke........av done a air leak test by blocking the afm part and adding air in to it to the air pressure went down really slow ..but i couldnt here any leaks at all....av checked tmic pipes ..and av replaced the intake pipe with an after markit one due to i removed it to check it and broke it.. the pill is in the actuator pipe near the nipple.. the car has bin like this since av owned it and now am getting to the point where am going to hit it with a hammer :evil: i dont really no much about these and i dont think the car has bin mapped...,,any info or help would be greatfull...thanks for looking...

2. jawimpreza

jawimpreza New Member

car starts ok and sounds good when ticking over

3. scalesy

scalesy New Member

What Revs are you making 0.7Bar and at what RPM Range is it tailing off at ?

4. jawimpreza

jawimpreza New Member

about 5 thou i think

5. dogma1

dogma1 New Member

check your waste gate is not sticking....

6. jawimpreza

jawimpreza New Member

hi i checked it with an air line and it moved in and out,,,thanks

7. jawimpreza

jawimpreza New Member

is there any one in cumbria or lancashire area who could have a look....av stripped the intake off and theres no play in the turbo but they was a drop of oil in there...one of the blades look a tidgy bent but i could be wrong,still sounds like its blowing some where but cant find it,,cheers

8. scalesy

scalesy New Member

Do you have your standard dv you can try ? As sounds like your DV is leaking on boost! :wink:
    I have Killed a few DV's over the years with Boost! :lol: Or give the spring a stretch 5 min job

9. dogma1

dogma1 New Member

i hav had a dv go as well sounded like i had a cow under the bonnet... so can produce some funny noises. i took dv apart a few time and just got new in the end. take it to one of the guys on here and they will put you right if unsure. :wink:

10. jawimpreza

jawimpreza New Member

hi i tryed my mates stanard dv and its still the same..thanks

11. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

I remember somebody else struggling and not getting anymore than 0.7 bar and they did an ecu reset might not work but worth a try

12. scalesy

scalesy New Member

The Tdo4's natural characteristics are to tail off high up the rev range 5000pm it will start too tail off due too it's small size but should be making full boost by 3000rpm I think standard boost on a bug tdo4 is around 0.8-0.9 Bar! You may have the wrong size restrictor pill fitted! but then again you have this squealing noise! And say you have no leaks! I am thinking your Turbo may be on its way out as you say! Good thing is Tdo4s are cheap turbos! :wink:

But here is One last thing too try and see whats going on! Connect the actuator directly to turbo outlet nipple and see what boost level its running @ on actuator pressure and if still makes that sound?

13. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

I remember somebody else struggling and not getting anymore than 0.7 bar and they did an ecu reset might not work but worth a try

14. jawimpreza

jawimpreza New Member

did a reset no diffrence.....il try that now with the actuator..what turbo would i need for defo if mine is gone...thanks

15. scalesy

scalesy New Member

Right let me know what bar it makes and if it still makes the noise! :wink: Then we will know more!

Tdo4 is the UK WRX's standard turbo! But if you Get it Mapped by Andrew Carr You can have any Turbo you want! Vf34 is the turbo used on the new age STI up too 2004 is the turbo of choice for many these days on a upgrade for the WRX! But you would also need a up pipe too remove the up pipe cat! And could fit a De-cat Down pipe! Plus a Walbro 225L Fuel pump that would be good for around 300bhp :twisted: Or you could just refit the Tdo4 if needed

16. scoobyman

scoobyman New Member

im not here to help just wondering how you know all this scalesy?(head battered) :)

dont want to hijack the thread but whats the std turbo them for just a uk 2l turbo,not wrx or sti,and how much are remaps,sorry. :oops:

17. scalesy

scalesy New Member

:lol: Adam had 5 Scooby's Now from differnt years! So got too know them all over the years! :wink: What year is your car?

18. scoobyman

scoobyman New Member

oh yeah! its a w reg2000.wouldnt mind more speed,its quick enough now but we always want more.

19. scalesy

scalesy New Member

If Standard Adam it will be a td04 :wink: Have sent you a link for mapping info!

20. jawimpreza

jawimpreza New Member

didnt do the actuator to day due to work...so i just need to put a pipe from the actuator to the nipple on the turbo..what do i need to do with the pipe off the boost cylinanoid? after av sorted it i will be getting it mapped as i was speaking to a mapper and he said i could get 280bhp out of my standard turbo ? is that true as i would be happy with that,,,thanks