which oil

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by scoobyman, Aug 1, 2012.

1. scoobyman

scoobyman New Member

am having my car serviced soon,but wondered which oil to use on my 2.0l turbo impreza wreg?i want a good oil i can pass this info on tomy mate then,thnks.

2. pete_h

pete_h Member

It's a big fat can o worms ! On my bug I run 5w40 , however IIRC I used 10w in my old classic . Best bet is to have a search and check your owners book for recommended viscosity and take it from there.

3. scoobyman

scoobyman New Member

ok great thanks alot,i'll have a look,thought id chek here 1st,cheers again :D

4. dpc1183

dpc1183 New Member

Standard recommended oil for all 2.0 impreza's is 5w30 (well that's what my autodata states) however lots of people who scooby's prefer something like millers competition 10w60

5. scoobyman

scoobyman New Member

do either of these have different effects on performance?excuse my ignorance :)

6. dpc1183

dpc1183 New Member

They won't change your performance but different oils will protect your engine better depending what modifications you have. If you have any engine modifications you may want to use a performance 10w60 oil if not you can look at using a standard 5w30.

Basically the smaller the number before the w is the viscosity when cold. Therefore 5w30 is a thinner oil when cold than 10w60. But the number after the w stands for how it handles heat. Obviously tuned engines run hotter than standard engines so a 10w60 will lubricate engine better when driving car hard (the oil won't break down).

So question you need to ask before deciding what oil, is what modifications you got? Also how do you drive it? Do you always let car warm up properly?

7. scoobyman

scoobyman New Member

well thats some info!! :)
    ok there are no mods as far as iknow but unsure what to look for,we really dont know much about scoobys even though weve had four,anyway we always let the car warm up and leave it 5 mins when we get back to cool down,occasionaly let my foot slip on the accelerator :) .doesnt get thrashed and has been very well looked after.thanks for taking the time on this. :D

8. pete_h

pete_h Member

Once you have settled on the viscosity you then need to wade through the many different brands on offer - my advice is buy a reputable brand (everyone has their favourites) and change it at regular intervals , more often the harder you drive it.

Personally I will change it every 3k - overkill maybe but for the sake of £35 it's piece of mind.

9. dpc1183

dpc1183 New Member

Pete is spot on do it every 3k miles and use a good oil brand. I know it is an awfull shop / website but from Eurocarparts I got 2 oil filters and 2 x 5L of oil (shell helix 5w30 oil) for £40. They have an offer on at minute for 31% off

10. scoobyman

scoobyman New Member

thats great ill have a look at that.well that answered a few q,s i prob should have already known,thanks again all.

11. pete_h

pete_h Member

Same place as me, thats where i got my Shell Helix from, free delivery is a bonus too :D

12. Tony Burns

Tony Burns New Member

NOOOOOOO!!!!! 5w30 is NOT recommended for classic impreza's, use a 5w40 fully synth or a 10w40 semi synthetic.

Tony :)

13. Tony Burns

Tony Burns New Member

This is not true, a 60 weight oil is like tar, it will not lubricate the engine as well as a 40 weight as the 40 flows faster and takes the heat out of the engine quicker, but if you are talking about a 500+bhp car then the 60 will give you "some" benefits over a 40, but not much and it will still take quite some time for it to get to temperature over the 40.

Tony :)

14. scalesy

scalesy New Member

60 is not Like Tar Tony! :shock: It is about the same Viscosity as Milk! Let's not be Silly Now! :lol:

15. scoobyman

scoobyman New Member

erm what just happened????my sweeds hurting.i think from this debate i might go with the 5w40 fully synth millers,just want the car to keep driving well,we dont hammer it, only on a weekend :D im not sure what a standard 2.0l turbos bhp is but obviously not powerful enough to blow itself up the way we drive it. :shock:

16. Tony Burns

Tony Burns New Member

For an engine its like tar, it needs alot of heat in there to get it a good flow rate, it doesnt flow that well in subaru's so yes, it causes more drag, wont dissipate heat as well and wont give as good a cold start as a 5w oil (plus its shear value is like 50, which means it will break down much quicker than other oils).
    Run a 5w40, you will notice the difference :wink: (and it will give you a more stable oil pressure)

Tony :D

17. Tony Burns

Tony Burns New Member

Depends on the year what bhp, either 208 or 215, but a 5w30 isnt recommended on your model, its in the handbook with a big warning sign :wink:

18. scoobyman

scoobyman New Member

sweet bejesus! ok al use 5w40 fully synth millers,208 to 215 bhp????? thats a bit crap,thought it was more than that,think more is needed,but i hear about remaps and theyre very expensive so might have to keep on miss daisying it for now. :shock:

19. scalesy

scalesy New Member

Sorry Tony your talking Utter crap with 60s being like Tar! Now back on Topic! Adam fully synth 10w/40 in a standard Classic is what you want! 5w is too thin for a classic's or so they Say! :lol: Now go buy your oil and have fun! :wink:

Alan!

20. scoobyman

scoobyman New Member

cheers alan, ok last change,10w40 f/s it is,right am gunna go buy my oil n have fun,thanks to all aswell.