What 'sports' diesel...?

Discussion in 'Other Performance Marques' started by GWS73, May 12, 2009.

1. GWS73

GWS73 Active Member

Well.... looks like I'll be getting rid of the Civic in the near future as a longer commute is pushing me into heading down the diesel route. (Plus the fact that the Type-R gives me a headache on the motorway :shock: )

I'm probably going to cap the budget at about £9k and the current favourite is the Mondeo ST Tdci - 155bhp and 300ft lb of torque standard... In standard form it comes complete with half leather, 18" alloys, heated windscreen, climate, cruise etc etc and looks a thoroughly nice place to be!

I know that the Ibiza Cupra tdi goes like stink, but I need something a bit bigger than an Ibiza really.

Any other suggestions for a quick and sporty diesel?

2. gerry

gerry Active Member

A4 fsi.......

3. jimmybling

jimmybling New Member

car

modeo st every time there a very nice car all the toys ,fast reliable and good on diesel :D

4. Gary

Gary Active Member

Mondeo ST TDC1 is a good choice Gaz

Looks spot on 8)

I have a company car which is an Astra 1.7 CDTi which to be honest feels like it's anchored down :lol:

So each wekend I get in my Ibiza TDi which has been remapped to 165bhp/300lb/ft for some fun,and thats even more power than the Ibiza Cupra. :wink:

Goes like stink :p but your right it's a bit on the small side

5. st3vo

st3vo New Member

if you want a good on fuel motor id get an x type jag, they do 55/60 to the gallon apparently

6. pitcha44

pitcha44 New Member

watch out for the clutch on the Mondeos as they have a dual mass flywheel to deal with the torque. when it starts to slip your looking at around £800-1k for a new 1 fitted :(

7. Sub BLT

Sub BLT New Member

does the leon cupra come in a diesel they look nice and mean 8)

8. GWS73

GWS73 Active Member

:shock: Crikey! Still really fancy the Mondeo though...

Think I'll have to stick the Honda up for sale soon and go on the hunt when I sell it.

Can't be faffed with a trade in, as I only get mad with the ridiculous price I get offered on my car :x

9. Gary

Gary Active Member

My Ibiza has the DMF,when I had the remap the clutch slipped after around 500 miles and cost me a lot of ££££sss :(

10. nevo

nevo New Member

Ive got an st diesel estate, Love it carry's all the kids stuff and crap, Go to cornwall a fair few times a year , Lets say she flies down not a problem at all and gets 40mpg all in comfort.
    New clutch are a bit steep but pm me if need one as can get them allot cheaper. 8)

11. marc

marc New Member

I would go for a A4 2.0 tdi myself and you could pick up a 06 plate lexus is220 d for that money

12. Fat Stig

Fat Stig New Member

leon cupra deisel is a nice car and maps realy well, all the best bits of vw without the cost.

13. scooby251

scooby251 Well-Known Member

I have a mondeo st tdci for work. its a fantastic car!!!!! lots of power/torque and plenty of toys!!!

I have only one problem with them - lots of road noise!!!!

:D :D :D

14. GWS73

GWS73 Active Member

I can't see road noise being an issue really as the Civic is an absolute nightmare for road noise, I think they took making them lightweight to the extreme!

I presume the noise in the Mondeo is caused mainly by the profile of the tyres? Or is it due to shoddy build quality?

15. GWS73

GWS73 Active Member

Was looking at the is220d - but found them to be quite expensive??

I don't really want a car with a million miles on the clock, so I presume that the Lexus' are only cheap when they have big miles?

16. GWS73

GWS73 Active Member

Obviously there are a couple of people on here with experience of the Mondeo ST diesel then.

I believe that they can have trouble with the injectors and it can be an expensive fix. Can anyone shed anymore light on this - or what to look for in this department when I'm shopping for a car?

Also, what other problems or issues can I expect from the Mondeo?

Cheers

Gaz 8)

17. markscooby

markscooby Active Member

the injectors are coded and rear sub frame bushes go and im sure u need a new one everytime they go only prob n with the engine is the timing chains snap . mate has got 3 or 4 old nackerd engines on his floor waiting to be fixed his own mondeo has got full leather out of the st220 as the derv st only got half leather

18. markscooby

markscooby Active Member

forgot to say the is a prob to with the actuators on the turbos and the cost £1200 for them as u can only buy them from fords with the turbos :shock:as they are a elctronic ones run by the ecu

19. Gary

Gary Active Member

Seat Leon TDi then Gaz :D

20. GWS73

GWS73 Active Member

My options are well and truly open.

Might stick the Type-R on Pistonheads and see what I get offered in swap. It usually makes an entertaining read! :lol: