Source found!

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by tharrington, Oct 20, 2015.

1. tharrington

tharrington Active Member

Had one of those annoying squeaks from the front end on one particular day it nearly drove me insane.

Went to CAMS and well here is what they found.

Pads are Carbon Lorraine 5+. I have contacted the company that I purchased the pads from but it was Sept 2014. They have sent pics off to the manufacturers, waiting to see if I receive any joy. Must admit I'm not fully confident I will receive a new set but hey ho you never know. IMG_3254.JPG

2. Don't bother waiting for the manufactures - your beef is with the company that sold them to you - its the suppliers beef with the manufacturer.
    Just ask for a full refund under the sales of goods act 1979 Section 14 (Implied terms about quality or fitness) Sub-section D (Safety).

3. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

there a year old, excuse my ignorance but havent you been on track too?

4. tharrington

Yes they are over 12 months old & I have done 3 track days.

My thoughts are that they ought to be up for the job & there is still plenty meat on them.

I emailed the company that sold them today but had no reply.

I will try again tomorrow.

5. tharrington

Chris do you have a website that I can check out to gain some further understanding regarding your comments.

6. Tim

Tim LADS Sponsor

Quite worrying really considering it's only been gentle track use and they were recommended as suitable track pads

7. tharrington

8. tharrington

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...ne-wrong-with-a-purchase/return-faulty-goods/

If something’s gone wrong with an item you’ve bought, you may be entitled to a refund, repair or replacement.
    It doesn't matter whether you bought the item new or secondhand - you'll still have rights.
    You’ll have legal rights if the item you bought is:
    You won’t have any legal rights if:
    • it was damaged by wear and tear, an accident or misuse

I think due to the length of time I have had the brake pads it will be more difficult to get them replaced.

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods#2
    Repair
    If you start using the item for some time then it is deemed that you have accepted the item. But if you discover a fault then you are entitled to have the item repaired or replaced free of charge – provided you did not cause the damage. If the fault occurs within the first 6 months of owning the item, it is accepted that the fault was there when you bought it. In general, the seller can offer to repair the item first. This should be a permanent repair and the problem should not reoccur. If the same fault occurs again, then you should be entitled to a replacement or refund. If you are not happy with the retailer’s offer to repair the item, you can say no - but if you do this, you may have to use the Small Claims process if you want to take the matter further.

Remember, the retailer may charge you for the repair if you have been responsible for the damage to the product.

Replacement
    If it is impossible to repair the item, or if it is more convenient than repairing it, then the seller may replace it for you. For example, if you bought a laptop and it overheated, causing significant damage to itself, it may be very difficult or even impossible for the seller to have the laptop fixed for you, so they may offer to replace it instead. If you opt for a replacement, it should be the same as the item you bought, or of similar quality and price. You should not have to pay extra for a replacement and should be given the difference in price if the replacement costs less than the item you originally bought.

Know your rights
    ■ If goods are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or as described, you are entitled to a refund, repair or replacement. However, you can only claim a refund for the first few weeks after purchase (the Law Commission is proposing a 30-day cut-off period) after which you are deemed to have "accepted" them and it's up to you to prove a manufacturing fault.

■ If you are happy with a repair or replacement within the first six months it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there at time of purchase. After that the burden of proof reverts to you, and you have up to six years to complain. And six years might not mean six years: it all comes down to the expected durability of the goods — a grey area depending on how much the item cost, how it was described, and how much it has been used.

If the retailer can prove it's unfeasible or uneconomical to repair or replace they can pay "compensation" — which means the purchase price, minus a sum to reflect the use you've had from the goods. And they get to calculate how much that use is worth.

■ If you're buying online or by mail order you have a seven-day cooling off period during which you can demand a refund. The European Rights Directive might raise this to 14.

■ You do not need a till receipt or original packaging. A bank statement will serve as proof of purchase.

■ If the item was bought with a credit card and cost £100 or more you can claim from your card issuer. Visa debit card holders have similar protection without the £100 minimum. ■ Returns policies are discretionary and you have to abide by the terms the retailer sets. This may mean you have to return the item in the original packaging and with the receipt. You may also be offered a credit note or an exchange, rather than a refund. Some stores don't operate a returns policy at all and they don't have to. . The law is not interested if you want to return a purchase because you've changed your mind, but if the purchase is of unsatisfactory quality, not as described or unfit for purpose, you have up to those six years to complain.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  9. tharrington

Today's developments:

Rang the seller. They said that they had received no feedback as yet. They kindly gave me a number to ring.

Spoke to an individual who said if I return the pads with a brief description of their history then they will provide a direct replacement (I assume a full set).

So, all being well I can get my hands on them for Thursday and have them fitted whilst I'm at CAMS before Buttertubs.

Graphite likes this.