Sensible-ish daily driver

Discussion in 'Other Performance Marques' started by thenewgalaxy, May 1, 2013.

1. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

The golf GTD with dsg is AWESOME

2. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

Wouldn't say no to a bit of car pr0n, get those pics up :D

Am going off the R32, seems to carry a premium that isn't justified it's more expensive than both other cars by a long way similar age mileage etc. Obviously still going to look at one, not ruling it out. Looks too good in blue to do that.

As for Focus STs, what is the deal with ST-1 ST-2 ST-3?
    Have spotted a nice 35k miles 2006 ST-3 (lower tax) for under £9k from a dealer. And it comes in the Blue flavour!

Is around £3k more than a similar mileage A3 V6 Sportback I'm looking at. Obviously a bit duller but it still shifts and can eat the miles comfortably. If I get it I'll de-badge it should be a bit of a sleeper lol.

Should be fun comparing these cars to each other!

3. GWS73

GWS73 Active Member

ST1 ST2 and ST3 are basically trim levels - not difference in engine.

You'll struggle to find an ST1 - but that's because they aren't worth having.... No ESP, no xenon lights, poverty stereo, less speakers etc etc

The ST2 and ST3 are fairly similar and have the 'nice' bits mentioned above, the main difference between them being the ST2 has a fabric trim, and the ST3 has the full heated leather.

Added to this - is the number of seats.... The ST2 is a normal 5 seater, whereas the ST3 has Recaros in the rear (which are cool!) but basically has two bucket seats in the back so is only a 4 seater.

If you want a chat or need any help feel free to give me a call/text - 07813711598

Cheers
    Gaz

4. whitep1

whitep1 Active Member

Looking for a car for my mate as we speak.

He had Kevs old Sti,then had a kid,and is now looking for something sensible/quick/sensible/desirable :roll:

I,m trying to help him the best I can,but so far its been narrowed right down to Megane 225 F1,and the Mazda 3 MPS.

Then he,ll send me a link to another STI on Pistonheads :roll:

The problem is theres so many good cars available now for reasonable money,its hard to decide on an exact car

Steve

5. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

I agree, it's so hard to make a good call. You can't really go wrong and you can be fussy and picky about what you want.

As I said I'd have that Leggy Spec B I was looking at had Enterprise not messed me around. It's hard to find a good one these days and I'm not keen on a drive to Devon just to consider an overpriced one.

I'm split between a Fozzy ST and an A3 3.2 V6 at the moment, leaning towards the latter as probably a better distance traveller. Learned that the A3 is almost exactly the same car as the R32 Golf, even shares the suspension and brakes though is setup differently.

6. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

Thanks for your opinions guys, I considered things I hadn't looked at before and ended up changing from a Legacy to something a little smaller and little bit more economical.

I did in the end plump for a Mk.V R32 - I picked up a low mileage 2008 car that was too good an offer to turn down with full VW history. Guess it always pays to hold out, look around and be absolutely sure of what you're getting. Gave up very quickly on the A3 3.2 as it has the mark IV engine that is prone to chain stretch, and was also a very lumpy ride. Was run very close by the Focus ST but ultimately my wife was keener on the R32 with DSG as she will be driving it a lot come the Autumn. I can see why the Focus is popular among Subaru owners with the noise and so much torque on tap.

Drove it back on the motorway today and pootled up to Lytham and averaged nearly 30mpg today including two cold starts. Didn't think cars were capable of that!

Anyways here it is

[​IMG]

7. ProdriveWagon

ProdriveWagon 3rd Scoob = an ej20 engined Hatch

Nice 8)
    Like those wheels :wink:

8. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

Yes... wheels on an R32! I actually prefer the facelift wheels too to the multispoke ones of the early models.

I'm probably going to downsize to some 17" tyres as running a higher profile as it improves the ride markedly.

The ride on the OEM dunlops is similar to that of the RE070s on the widetrack newage cars and on rough roads is pretty unpleasant. Thankfully this car is fitted with some Yokohamas which seem much better so I can wait a bit before doing so.

By the way, the noise these things make is incredible. It's like driving a mini 911.

9. Tenbags

Tenbags New Member

so sorry for the late reply and i realise you've bought one but my pics were on my old laptop so had to re-open my facebook account to get these.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]