Sensible-ish daily driver

Discussion in 'Other Performance Marques' started by thenewgalaxy, May 1, 2013.

1. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

I've been agonising over what to get for ages now as a second car. Don't want to put too many miles on my current ride.

Were it not for the Enterprise cockup I'd now have a really nice Legacy Spec B Saloon.

However I've clearly had too much time to think since and I'm feeling drawn towards other things now.

Definitely want AWD and a bit of poke... struggling to find a nice Leggy at the moment.

Am going to have a look at an A3 3.2 V6 with the DSG in the week and then an R32 Golf at the weekend.

What would any of you lot go for?

2. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

Rs4 avant all day long my dads got one and its awesome

3. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

Kind of have a loud, sub 20mpg, high maintenance 400+bhp monster on my driveway already...

Really not so sure another one would make a good second car!

4. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

If you want something with a bit of poke I'd give the R32 a miss, they are not that fast, get a focus ST or similar but obviously not 4WD.

5. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

Rs4 - had one - good car but not very exciting -

Get another scooby !!!

6. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

To be fair they're both pretty slow compared to what I'm used to. Claimed figures wouldn't suggest there's much between them performance-wise... both look good in blue and sound good.

Yeah might have to have a gander at the Fozzy ST, much more in my desired area.

7. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

Don't get one of them ! Horrendous on fuel ! Get an sti !!!

8. GWS73

GWS73 Active Member

Focus ST.... Great choice :wink: :lol:

9. GWS73

GWS73 Active Member

You're welcome to have a good look round (and a blast in) mine if you're anywhere near Blackpool pal. Think you'll be quite surprised at how well they go after a bit of tweaking...

10. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

Have been very tempted at picking up another Blobeye... but the wife would kill me!

Have to get something more refined unfortunately.

GWS, I've seen your car Cleveleys way before. Have you had it for a couple of years? Cracking looking motor, when I'm Blackpool way I'll have to give you a shout as well as Gaz!

11. Tenbags

Tenbags New Member

I had a 5 door R32 08 plate before I got my van and subsequently my scooby. The only thing I missed about the golf was the v6 noise, at the time I loved it but it wasn't practice coz the boot is smaller coz of the 4 motion set up and it's heavy on fuel, it felt fast but I once got left for dead by a Mazda 3 MPS, my other car up until jan was a Audi a3 sportback black edition with all the toys but even though it was a diesel it looked great in white with graphite wheels but attracted attention even so I got broken into so I bought an A4 avant Quattro now and it's great

12. GWS73

GWS73 Active Member

Only had this white one for about 6 months pal. I had an orange one before this, for about 2 and a half years. They are great cars - that's why I've had two! Lol

Just drop me a PM when you're next here - we can meet up if you like.

Gaz

13. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

Yeh no worries :D

14. CAMS

CAMS LADS Sponsor

My sister is selling her vw Tiguan 4 motion se.
    Black with leather has everything it even parks it self.
    24k miles one owner. 2009. She has been offered 13k of main dealer to buy it :wink:

15. Belly

Belly Member

Pretty similar to ten bags really, I had a mk4 .:R32 and it was a great drive but they are stupidly heavy on fuel for the performance you get. The whole time I had mine I constantly wanted another scooby, the v6 soundtrack is sweet especially with a non res milltek but apart from that any mods will cost an arm and a leg and not for a lot more power mate.
    I had a test drive in a focus st and loved it but the scooby was always gonna win as I missed my last one, I'd probably have a gander at a few st's though as they are quick and have a similar feeling cabin to the 32, but the focus is a lot quicker ;)
    Good luck mate

16. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

I was looking at getting a leon fr diesel and i know that with not much money you can have a real quick car on your hands and they are a very comfortable sporty car for about 8k

17. chriscooby

chriscooby Member

Merc C270cdi is an option! :wink:

18. Amoruso

Amoruso New Member

I had the Seat cupra k1 08 plate for about a year and a half..

standard 240bhp FWD

after remap about 300-320 bhp on stock parts. Loved it to bits but needed a change. only prob was the FWD if only 4WD.. :shock:

19. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

Thanks for the opinions guys, exactly what I was after.

Interesting to hear from former owners of R32s. Reviews were very positive so I was thinking it would be a good daily sensible car. It would seem that it isn't actually that great... makes me think the less sporty, smoother riding and much cheaper A3 3.2 would be a better bet if I'm going for a car like that.

Still gonna have a gander at an R32 but I'm going to find a decent Focus to look at before I part with any dorrah. If it's a smooth ride it looks like I'll get it as votes of confidence from the Scooby mob is always a good thing!

I do like the VAG diesels but my wife is going to part chop her Fiesta for one in the next 18 months or so, and I still can't bring myself to buy one as I'm not grown up enough to own one yet lol.

20. Tenbags

Tenbags New Member

I've got plenty of pics still of my R32 if you want me to post them, full heated bucket leather seats, touch screen nav stereo tv etc,