Scoobyteknix Rolling Road Day @ TEG: Confirmed Date 27th Jan

Discussion in 'Car & Motorsport Events' started by jim litten, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

lol

gerrys on the ball tonight lol

2. gerry

gerry Active Member

am drunk marky!!! i,d say rolling off it :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

marc
    yes but I guess that TEG wouldn't do it between runs (except for brians that was a laugh, you should of seen his face) i.e. everyone one the day should be comparable but between RRdays.. it's a lottery

4. gerry

gerry Active Member

so what your saying ralph is the under dog got the best power figure??? :lol: :lol:

5. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

no the under carpet got the best figure :D

6. gerry

gerry Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Steve didn't do "anything" to how the rollers loaded up, all he did was disconnect the Inlet Temp probe, so the computer saw an inlet temp of 214C, so the postioning of the Inlet Temp sensor makes a big difference, if it is clipped somewhere warmer than where the air is fed into the airbox, then this will give a false reading.

8. marc

marc New Member

Thats me told then :oops: was nt accusing anybody of anything just dont like the idea of being able to manipulate rr figures so easily Jim mate :D

9. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

At the end of the day your reliant upon the professionalism of the tester. It would IMO be very unlikely that a tester would say fiddle ones guys car down and another guys car up on the same day. (Ignore brians they were just takin the p$ss) also I'd be suprised if a given dyno outfit changed their calibration much because they'd want a consistent bench mark for any engine development they were doing.

But it is more than likely IMO that one RR could be run , lets say, more optimistically than another and that this might lead to a lot of dissapointed runners at a less optimistic RR day.... Jeez I've had enough of this line of thought

re straight line heros/ lat acc nutters.... mines only doing 285 but if I were to be spending any more on it, it would all be on suspension, brakes and trackdays, forget chasing top line BHP on RR days IMHO.

10. gerry

gerry Active Member

ralph you could go the other way and say whats the point in makeing it stop quick and handle better if it aint quick?? there has got to be a divide??? :lol: :lol:

11. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

Jim

I don't know what Steve did on brian's run, can you explain it more please? I don't understand how a temp probe could change the torque and power readings. top day again btw :D

Gerry

each to his own mate :wink: on the track day what I missed most was handling and brakes not power even though mines not a big power car.

12. jim litten

jim litten New Member

If you look on your graph you will see AT and IT, AT is the ambient temp and IT is the inlet temp, the software used has a temperature correction equation so that it corrects for temp, the higher the IT compared to AT then the different power reading, it works in a similar way to the power correction for drivetrain losses, certain rollers have the AT on a lead that gets clipped to the car as well as the IT clipped to the car, if the AT is cooled due to being in the airstream from the fan then this will be lower than the actual ambient due to windchill factor, plus if the IT is clipped in a warmer area than sticking it in the intake snorkel like on your car then there's a greater difference to the two temps, on mine the AT was 12 and IT was 22.

13. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

:oops: :oops: :oops:

forgot that the power / torque are corrected back to a standard set of inlet conditions. ( temp pressure & therefore air density) Cheers Jim

Do you know of any procedure that can be used to allow back to back comparisions between different RR days. I guess it's a pretty big ask?

14. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Easy way would be to tell the operator way to clip the temp probes in the same place from roller to roller, but I can't see you getting very far with that, then, and you missed this bit from Steve, the DD rollers use a set of transmission losses in the flywheel factor equation, whereas other rollers use actual run down losses, but these can effected if youhave a dragging handbrake or very soft tyre pressures.

15. nas sti

nas sti New Member

Thought the figures were miles out today :?: upto 50bhp and torque on some cars compared to prosport , some people say that prosports rollers are figure happy but they seem to be bang on with standard cars :?:

16. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Neil, that argument will always rage on, and really it's not worth it, Just use each day to compare one car to another. If you car is dyno mapped then keep using the same dyno as it should give you some indcation of gains from one change to the next.

The real truth lies out on the 1/4mile or race track whichever is your proving ground of choice, no point have nice peak figures if it doesn't translate to a fast car, ie faster than someone elses :twisted:

Personally I'm chuffed to bits, 252bhp@0.95bar and 275lbft@1.2bar from a 140000 mile Fozzy with just a TD04 and Prodive sportscat downpipe (plus an little ECU tweak of course) :D What would that have done at Prosport :?: :lol:

Huge thanks to Jim for organising today.

Andrew...

17. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

I think the 10% long term fuel correction was definitely having an effect on your cars performance and would account for it being rich on the rollers, drive it for a couple of weeks and we'll see if it comes back.

18. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Steve may regret playing that little joke, but unplugging the IAT sensor makes such a massive difference that it's obvious what is going on and it will be printed on his RR graph!

For power runs Dyno Dynamics RRs are run in Shoot44 mode, which means that the dyno's configuration is fixed using setting defined by DD themselves and are std on any DD dyno across the planet.

Andrew...

19. adz

adz Member

LOL :lol: shows what Jim was saying-IT/AT difference-my car ran first and last-the difference lies in the temp changes

as for other peeps snidy comments about the carpet,when one out of three runs shows a .1 bar dip for no reason there had to be a cause-

after checking for hose leaks it was pure coincidence when i saw the carpet,as its normally out when mapping, rug under pedal stopped last 1/4" at throttle body,
    proved Andrews assumption correct-
    AVCR wasnt seeing full throttle and clipping back the boost :wink:

was made up we found the reason for the strange behaviour and that wedging your carpet can give you 4bhp- might even sort cars equiped with PPP from over richness by stoppping full throttle :wink:

as for the figures-who gives a Fook?the car runs stronger and smoother than when last at prosport and i have a base now to compare next stage of mods to-then i can go elsewhere and get 600bhp :wink:

20. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Adz, see my comment above about GWS's car.