Registration plate retention questions...

Discussion in 'General LADS chat' started by Graphite, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Graphite

Graphite 23rd June 2016 - Vote LEAVE EU!

I've got a subaru related plate on my old Impreza - P17 URB - with the subaru logo at the end i like to think it says P1 7URBO :mrgreen:

I bought it when I was after a P1 'eventually' :wink:

The car has been off the road for nearly a year, not been sure whether to break it or scrap it or whatever - and I have just found out that if you want to put the reg on retention that it needs to be done within 1 year of the last Tax expiring or something like that - if it's 'full months' I'm stuffed already But I took it off the road about 17th Nov last year.

With the recession and stuff going on car prices dropping and luxuries like this dropping in price is it worth even bothering with anymore? - It will cost me £105 as far as I can tell if I am within the salvage of the reg time - other than that I would need to get the car MoTd and insured again before I could reclaim it...

Anyone got any experience - good or bad?

Any advice appreciated...

Cheers

Mick :lol:

2. ELV1S

ELV1S Administrator

Have you sorned the car Mick?

Which is what you should do if your car is off the rd, the normal price to put a reg on retention is normally only £25 per year, so try that .

To transfer it onto your new car will cost £105 but that normally includes the transfer fee which £80 of that should be already paid when you put it on the red car it's on now?

Hope this helps a bit, not sure about the bit if you haven't sorned it that you only have 12 months though?

3. Graphite

Thanks Dave - yes it is on SORN - just renewed it.

Bought the reg originally from DVLA so price included transfer fee...

I'm a bit confused about the retention fees though - maybe the current system is the transfer fee up front - I guess they make more money that way :lol:

4. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

Yep, you have to pay the transfer fee of £80 if your just swapping between cars, to put on retention is an additional £25 as you have to pay the transfer fee at the same time, so £105 all in, Not sure on it being sorn but it usually like you've said it would need an mot/insurance too, not sure if this applies to sorn but I have a feeling it does, best give them a call or pop into DVLA in preston

5. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

Mr booth is very up on this subject might be worth a phone call

6. Graphite

Cheers guys... :)

7. mrsm12stx

mrsm12stx New Member

Once the plate is on retention and you've paid your £105. this is only valid for 12 months. We have just renewed a plate on retention at a cost of £25 for a further 12 months. You do get a reminder that your retention is due to expire tho.