Quiz Master Jap ...... Q 4 today... Octain Boots..

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Jap Sti 3, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Jap Sti 3

Jap Sti 3 New Member

Is it worth the £2.85 a pop to add to Optimax to gain 2 Ron[?]

Still running Jap on Optimax but spotted Octain Boots 1 bottle per fill up to get 2 Ron more taking it to Jap standard 100Ron.....[;)]

Is there mor BHP in it for Jap[?]

2. rusty

rusty New Member

Im running my Jap WRX on Shell Optimax only and carry a bottle of Nitrous Formula (NF) just in case I can get the 98 RON. Not in the slightest bit tempted to try BP Ultima as only 97 RON....

I am aware that as my engines ignition timing is retarded or whatever [8)] that I could be causing damage so Im more inclined to get it remapped for UK fuel....don mind small drop in power as long as engine don go pop [:0]

Andrew C to give a more technical explanation? [:D]

3. Jap Sti 3

Jap Sti 3 New Member

Were do you get our NF from Rusty......[?]

4. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

For what its worth I run Optimax with either Wynns or Millers OB. Very easy to get hold of and does the job just fine.

Went off NF after seeing what it does to internals, Lambda , turbo impellor etc. Can say I noticed a difference.

Just MHO of course. [;)]

5. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

On classic Jap spec cars (esp. STis) I would recommend using an octane booster as the ECU can retard enough to make them completely safe on UK SUL. The Denso ECU in the New Age cars modifies its ignition timing much faster and in a more intelligent way so is somewhat safer. In both cases I would recommend getting a knocklink as your VERY FIRST mod on an import.

Knock is not the end of the story by any means, in cold weather the car is more likely to run lean, send EGT skyward and risk piston/head damage due to over heating.

Im not trying to be a scare monger but these cars are designed for better quality fuel than we get in this country.

Optimax can be a little flakey at the best of times, after a week in your tank I doubt it is any more potent than BP Ultimate or ESSO SUL.

Andrew...

PS. Chris King (Mellow Yellow) at Scoobyscene is your best bet for NF in the North West.

6. rusty

rusty New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndrewC</i>
    <br />I would recommend getting a knocklink as your VERY FIRST mod on an import.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yep, just got one... waiting to be fitted [:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndrewC</i>
    <br />
    Optimax can be a little flakey at the best of times, after a week in your tank I doubt it is any more potent than BP Ultimate or ESSO SUL.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> I wish my Optimax would stay in my tank longer than a week [:0][:D][:D]

Cheers Andrew [:)]

7. scoobbillydoo

scoobbillydoo Active Member

lol sorry but optimax and ultimate are the same ron depending on how long the fule was deliverd 2 the station i have a a official statment from bp saying there ultimate is 97.4 ron il try and find it and put it up
    i use ultimate cuz if im right it is pure 97.4 ron as with optimax its 95 - 96 ron with adatives 2 take it 2 98 ron (dont qoute me on that it is not official just what iv heard)

8. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

You are correct in stating that Optimax is NUL with additives so nominally 95-96RON + Additives.

Independent testing of the two fuels gave the following results:

<b>Shell Optimax</b>
    RON 98.3
    MON 89.2

<b>BP Ultimate</b>
    RON 97.2
    MON 90.3

So you would expect Ultimate to resist det better than Optimax but (fresh) Optimax to enable more power to be released if correctly mapped for.

Andrew...

9. scoobbillydoo

scoobbillydoo Active Member

[:0] i stand corected[:I]

10. Jap Sti 3

Jap Sti 3 New Member

[:0]Once again LADS thanks for all the info, Knocklink here I come, Rich get one in for me M8....[;)]

As for the Octain Boost, still a bit unclear were Im heading
    Cheers Andrew for the top advice, and everyone else who came up with the info.

Scooby Scene is based here in Rochdale, if Im not mistaken and I know the Chap so Ill drop him an e-mail.

NF, is that the top recomended OB [?][?]
    or is it Wynns or Millers OB [?][?] & were do I get it from if at all.

11. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

I don and never have used any of the formulae type octain boosters so can make a personal recommendation, however, NF seems to be the OB of choice at the moment.

Andrew...

12. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

If its good enough for Bob Rawle then its good enough for me. I currently have the Link mapped to run with 100ml of NF for that bit more advance.

13. Jap Sti 3

Jap Sti 3 New Member

Is it a noticible increase in power or just a smoother ride[?] with the OB[?]

14. Godzilla

Godzilla New Member

Octane booster will not give you any more power. Raising the octane level merely increases the fuel resistance to detonation. Ona car mapped to 100RON, running it on 98 or less will mean there is a higher risk of det occuring and the added chance that the ECu will start to pull timing out, hence lost performance. Raising the octane will "put that performance potential back" but it won be any quicker than it could have been before.

Chris doesn sell NF any more. He was fed up of not being able to get hold of it. Its a nightmare.

I have used just about every commonly available octane booster in my car.

NF is excellent but it if used in largish quantitites will coat your plugs. I used 100ml of NF per fillup and my Iridium plugs lasted around 300miles before I started to get misfires. This was a regular thing. I know of other NF users with similar problems at these dosages.

I now use Millers which I find to be just as good, if not better and it is readily available. At 1.5bar of boost on an 05 Im seeing 1 green light MAXIMUM on the knocklink. I do use 2 bottles per fillup though [;)]

RRP for Millers is £3+VAT per bottle but if you buy it in bulk (10 bottles at a time it works out cheaper.

Give us a ring as we stock tonnes of it.

Rich

15. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Rich,

Get whoever comes to the next meet from JI to fill their boot with Millers, youll sell loads!

Andrew...

16. Godzilla

Godzilla New Member

[:D]

cheers Andrew.

Will do.

Ill bring a few cases.

Rich

17. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Rich,

As a matter of interest, which millers do you use, CVL or Octane Plus ?

Andrew...

18. Jap Sti 3

Jap Sti 3 New Member

Hi Rich, Ill be over for 10 very soon........... [:)]

19. Jap Sti 3

Jap Sti 3 New Member

Once again, the LADS come up with just the right amount of information to help Jap live a better and healthy life............. Thanks to all.

20. Godzilla

Godzilla New Member

Andrew,

I use Octane +

CVL is a bit dearer (£4 odd +VAT) and it only treats 25l IIRC whereas O+ treats 50l so youd have to use 2 bottles of CVL per tank (about £9 per fillup) to get 3 Ron whereas O+ gives you 2 Ron for £3.

Cheers

Rich