Question re Gearbox and rear diff oil on STI

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by JET, Feb 28, 2012.

1. JET

JET New Member

Finding it hard to get a straight answer on this one chaps so hopefully one of you will know.

When replacing the rear diff and gearbox oil (MT 6 speed STI) my Drivers handbook says to use the following:
    Rear Diff=Motul 90PA Limited Slip Differential (LSD) Oil
    Gearbox=Motul Gear 300 75W/90 Semi/Fully Synthetic Gear Oil

Question is: a couple of people have used 75w90 in both (Castol Syntrax Uni for example), can I safely use this or are they different oils that need to be kept seperate due to the rear LSD in my STI?

2. CAMS

CAMS LADS Sponsor

use 75/90 fully synthetic in both :wink:

3. JET

JET New Member

Brian, your a star man 8)

4. ScoobyDan

ScoobyDan New Member

And if you want the Motul gear 300 , Camskill seemed cheapest when I was looking last week .

5. JET

JET New Member

Cheers Dan, opted for Comma SX75W-90 GL5 Semi synthetic for the tranny after a recommendation, I'm so glad I decided to do this before a lenghy run, checked the gearbox level and it was just about on the minimum :roll:

6. pete_h

pete_h Member

good luck doing the diff, i spent ages messing aroung with a turkey baster on Sunday when i replaced mine. Next time i will use a syringe to squirt in in there!

7. JET

JET New Member

:lol: :lol: Not quite as bad for me, I took off the intercooler and used a funnel 8), rear dif not playing though had enough of crawling around on the floor for today, will wait till next week and stick it up on a ramp with a breaker bar to release the very stuck diff plugs :(

8. pete_h

pete_h Member

I used a funnel on the front too, didnt need to remove the IC though. The rear is a PITA because you can hardly get any angle for refilling because the fill hole is inches away from the underside. Get some decent pentrating fluid on both the rear diff plugs and with a breaker bar you should be fine :D

If they are really seized then be careful that the breaker bar doesnt slip as they tend no to go on fully because of the nobbly bit -if you are using a 1/2 inch breaker bar end with no socket on i mean.