Pop up spoilers.

Discussion in 'General LADS chat' started by s800byn, Jan 28, 2013.

1. s800byn

s800byn Member

Right, hope I can get my point across, you know cars that have pop up spoilers like Audis Bentleys etc, does the spoiler actually provide any downforce? Surely the hinges would have to be super strong to cope with the weight of the pressure forced on it? Hope this makes sense.

2. st3vo

st3vo New Member

yeah they always provide down force the idea of the pop up spoiler is for it to pop up at certain speed, otherwise its an unnecessary aerodynamic drag.
    think of the DRS on a formula 1 car, i recall shumachers getting stuck open and 5 men couldnt twist it shut by hand and he had to retire

3. s800byn

s800byn Member

Yeah I remember that happening, but a formula 1 car is a million miles more technologically advance that say an Audi TT. Still sceptical!

4. st3vo

st3vo New Member

theres not gonna be mega force pushing down on it, say at 150 mph the weight of a heavy man sat on the boot to stabilize the rear, so as long as any hinges are not made out of cardboard they should handle the strain

5. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

I know the F1 ones are hydraulic so you wont be moving them ones, Not sure on the TT etc but would imagine if they went to all the expense of developing it that it would function properly?

6. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

The on on my 997 turbo is hydrolic and on to bars like pistons. Think they are all like that not hinged ! Ill go take some pics

7. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

8. matt

matt Member

I love the idea of the pop up wings on the new Pagani that was on Top gear. Great idea, but wouldn't really want to trust them on the limit. Just another thing to go wrong. Modern version of pop up headlights, and they are cool!

9. mickp

mickp Well-Known Member

They must do a job and as stated they have to deal with some big forces.

Be good to see a few more pics of the 997 John 8)

10. Widdowmaker

Widdowmaker Well-Known Member

U own a 997..... U dark horse!!!!!!!

C'mon man - dont worry about robbin some ones thread!!!! picture up lad!!!!

(apologies to the thread starter - but even a lip spoiler will have an effect on handling at higher speeds, so no matter what size the spoiler on a TT - it is designed for a specific job and it should do it... what ever that job is!!!)

11. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

Ive just bought me a spoiler, Needed a bit of stability at the read :D

12. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

Yes it deffo makes a difference at speed ! The Turbo is a great everyday car, although i do find myself in the scooby more and more. For anyone that is interested my brother has just got one of these

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/03/asto ... ck-review/

he also has this as recorded by my geeky nephew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuD_rczi ... vg&index=7

The 997 turbo S you can see in the back ground has gone into the deal for the Aston - huge error if you ask me. The difference between the normal turbo and the S was huge, they drove so much different with compleatly different power curvs. it wasnt like a suped up turbo, it was a different car. He wont like the aston - guarenteed

13. Toffee

Toffee New Member

If you research the aero package on the "nemo evo" car you will see the amount of down force achieved on that car is HUGE, I am not saying you will be able to replicate that level of down force, but you could achieve hundreds of kilos with a pretty good set-up.

14. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

Doubt it to be honest ! He hardly ever gets his cars out and there is know way he would let me bring it to a meet ! He can't get his head round the fact I'm 30 and driving the same cars as him ! He's 50 ! Plus his insurance is well tricky - mine limits me to 120k value and that's 200k so I'm not covered on mine. My pal has a db9 ill see if I can get hold of it !

15. s800byn

s800byn Member

Well this became a right interesting thread! And answered my question then I suppose!

16. matt

matt Member

The latest spoilers are also used as Air Brakes, like on the buggati Veyron and the McLaren road car. I am sure You tube will have some examples of them in action.

Some of the guys who work at Aerospace will have knowledge of these from jets. I suppose you just need a big flap with a hydraulic ram attached to it, and wire it up to your brake pedal. We need to be careful as it will give Lee ideas for his TA car :twisted:

17. Toffee

Toffee New Member

There is a guy entering TA this year in a GTR33 who has buttons on his steering wheel to operate his spoiler, straight line its flat and cornering he can have it on full down force. I suggested he linked in to a G meter and then it could operate proportionally to the lateral G's....... have to be careful of the extra weight these things cost though :wink:

18. Yes we do, but we design aircraft to be inherently Unstable, as that makes them more agile - not what you want when hitting the brakes from 100MPH+ :lol:

Thats said we do airbrake upon landing, so yes, they do work :wink: 8)

19. FroSTI

FroSTI Well-Known Member

:?: :?: :roll: :lol: :lol: