Not enjoying the Subaru experience

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Dan Ingram, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SHEP6413

SHEP6413 New Member

if you need any engine parts, pistons etc. Let me know as i have a bits from when my engine went bang, i just bought a different engine.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i,d be taking bonnet of first :p

3. scooby dee

scooby dee New Member

u will have to give us deatiled pictures on ur process mate , sorry to hear about ur bad luck . dave

4. Dan Ingram

Dan Ingram New Member

I'll be taking pictures of everything as I go along. Thanks for all the advice everyone. Its very helpful this place :D

5. Angry Kid

Angry Kid New Member

hope you get it sorted mate..

6. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

Yep. :D

7. Dan Ingram

Dan Ingram New Member

The engine is now just about ready to get lifted out. Just need to unbolt the bell housing and the mounts and it can come out. Where is the best place to attach the engine hoists? There doesn't seem to be any lifting points on the engine anywhere.

8. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Most people put a rope around the inlet manifold but im not keen on that, i put a rope arond the whole engine, going between the exhaust manifold and block.

[​IMG]

It may also help to jack the gearbox up slightly.

9. Dan Ingram

Dan Ingram New Member

Excellent ta. I'll give that a try. I should have it out on Sunday.

10. Dan Ingram

Dan Ingram New Member

I've been trying to separate the engine from the box tonight but I'm struggling. Its pretty much apart but it just wont come out. Any suggestions? am I missing something really obvious?

11. phil_wrx

phil_wrx New Member

there is a release pin on the box

12. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

As above. the clutch fork pivots on a rod that has to be removed.

There is a hex head bung on the right hand side of the box near the clutch fork, remove the bung and then you need to pull the rod out by screwing a bolt into it and pulling out, cant remember the bolt size needed, iirc around 4-6mm.

13. Dan Ingram

Dan Ingram New Member

Excellent thanks. I thought I must have missed something obvious.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

will remember this when i do my mates clutch

15. mine spun a bearing within 2000 miles of me owning it cost me 2 grand to have done, luckily (or not ) i had a warrenty that paid half of it garage i got it off wouldnt put rest to the robbing f**kwits (dont buy anything from fiats of bury they dont want to know when it goes wrong), only had it done at a garage because i had the warrenty otherwise would have tried myself, the most expensive part of the rebuild was the new crank also had acl bearings modded oil pump cometic gaskets new modine and an uprated exceddy clutch put in, all running sweet now :D

16. JET

JET New Member

I'd be worried if my bearings didn't spin :D

17. :D you know what i meant spun a shell bearing then the bit thats meant to stay still whilst the crank moves round inside it, got the old crank in me shed all scored to bits

18. Dan Ingram

Dan Ingram New Member

Getting a bit wound up with the thing now. I cant find a hex head bung anywhere on the gearbox. There is a long bolt that looks to go through the clutch fork is that it? Do I need to remove the fork itself as that looks impossible.

19. Neil

Neil Active Member

On the gearbox, near to where the starter motor goes, you should see a bolt which utilises an allen key socket to undo it.

Can't remember exactly what size it is, 10 mm rings a bell.

It WILL be tight by the way.

Undo that, and you will find a small tapped hole.

Screw a 6mm thread bolt (10 mm head) into it, and pull/slide the pin out.

Engine will come apart then.

20. Dan Ingram

Dan Ingram New Member

Woohoo its out

[​IMG]

Only problem is I've taken a bolt out of the box that I shouldn't have so I think thats going to have to come out to :(