Not enjoying the Subaru experience

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Dan Ingram, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

In short bursts but prolonged periods at high revs will imo be one of the main contributing factors, that and det caused by numerous things.

2. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

My modded P1 did over 92,000 miles, including trips abroad to rallies and thrashing round Catalunya a couple of times.

Never missed a beat. :D

Lesson: Do it right and it'll do right by you..... :wink:

3. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Unfortunately steve that isnt always the case, especially when buying a car with a few miles already on the clock, and its not just modified cars that suffer from what is an obvious, wide spread problem.

4. scalesy

scalesy New Member

Look at this way in my Ra at 80 it's doing 4500 Rpm in my old UK wagon you would be doing 120 at the same revs so look at it in that way and you can see why they give up if you go over a ton for more than a few miles :lol: if you want to go fast get a Uk mine used to hit 155 :roll: 149 GPS speed not bad for a wagon 8)

5. skins21

skins21 Active Member

looks like i will have 2 get a pair ov drivin slippers then,,,,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol:

6. TunnelMeister

Know what you mean John, but bought her at 2 years old with 46,000 on the clock, Then I doubled it in the next 2 years..... I know it's not always the case, maybe I was just 'lucky'.... but you know what I'm saying... :)

Talking about the P1 btw... not the current mota. :D

7. scalesy

scalesy New Member

The Ra is 5hite on the motorway I just sit in the middel lane watching the normal cars just roll on by :lol: Sad but true but thats not what the ra is about is it Now! :twisted:

8. skins21

skins21 Active Member

:lol: :lol:

i no only bin on motoway 3 times :shock:

9. TunnelMeister

I know it would change the mota, but have you thought about changing the gear ratio's?

10. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

I hear you Steve. :wink:

Unfortunately to take as much care as possible whilst still enjoying these motors you have to be rather clued up, ie using the correct fuel, correct oil and oil changes, signs that the car isnt running correct such as failing MAFs, monitoring things like boost and Knock, remapping for mods etc... and even thats no garauntee.

These things would seem pretty obvious to those who have gone through the learning curve of running these cars via browsing sites like this and conversing with other owners and their expeiences but im sure there are a lot of people out there who run their car without a care in the world, and whilst they may get away with it the next owner may have to pay the price.

Obviously not saying that is the case in this instance but no doubt it happens, and the only way to get any kind of reassurance when buying is to chat with the previous owner to see how clued up they are....

The only positive to take from this experience Dan is that once rebuilt you will know what condition the engine is in and it will hopefully reward you with many a happy mile afterwards!

11. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Oh and your coolant system will be clean as :lol: :wink:

12. Sub BLT

Sub BLT New Member

one of the reasons I baught a scoob ,well one of the reasons I told the wife it was a good idea is because I always thaught they are really reliable :? :shock:

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The UK versions normally are just check out JD Power surveys for Subaru's

Simpson

14. scoobynige

scoobynige New Member

Like any make of car Scoobs need a little TLC.

There will always be horror stories of cars `letting go`, knock
    and burping or something!
    There are a lot of scoobies out there and some quite old now...so
    some cars will fail.

I`ve had my Jap classic nearly 9 years. I bought it with 20,000miles on
    the clock....its now done 145,000miles!!!!!
    Original engine, original turbo, orginal clutch and original suspension!
    (gone through a few tyres though) :D

The car has put up with some serious punishment over the years.
    I put on 40k miles in a year blasting up and down the M6 everyday with
    no problems.
    I dont hang around on A and B roads either (scooby towers can vouch for that) :wink:
    So maybe not as unreliable as some say :D

15. Dan Ingram

Dan Ingram New Member

The car has a knock link on it and also an avc-r that records max boost and when it went there was no sign of any knocking and it didn't over boost at all. Its also been re-mapped after all the other modifications had been carried out so apparently the air/fuel is spot on. It had the oil changed for millers 10w60 about a week before hand, there was plenty of oil pressure and the oil temp was fine. I think I've just been a bit unlucky with this one.

Like you say though once I've rebuilt it I know it will be right then. Now I just have to decide to what level I rebuild it :?

16. scalesy

scalesy New Member

If my car lasts as laong as scoobynige's its only half way to them miles I will be made up :D That's the thing when I look at a scooby the miles mean nowt I have seen many a dead car @ 40000 and some real tidy one's with 120000 on clock :D Some times you just never know when things are going to let go :roll: it's just one of them things a bit like when my gearbox went bang just before Xmas :lol: o Well all DCCDed up Now! :evil:

17. garyboxer

garyboxer Full member

sympathise with you as mine is in the garage aswell :cry:

18. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Dan, when they do let go it would seem they do so shortly after an oil change, within a couple hundred miles anyway.

If i were you i would get the engine out and stripped to see what has gone and make a decision based on that, if its as you think and it has spun a bearing then you could be looking at a new rod (if big end), bearings and whilst at it maybe piston rings, if the bores and block look ok. Possible the bearing may have damaged the crank but until stripped.......

You will need to change gaskets, oil/water modine etc but if your not after increasing the power rediculously then this would be the quickest and cheapest method.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i,d be fitting a uprated oil pump first job

20. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

I'd be stripping it down first job! :p