Next Scoob What to get? STI-7 0n LPG or STI8 with DCCD

Discussion in 'General LADS chat' started by scalesy, Nov 17, 2011.

1. scalesy

scalesy New Member

Right I am thinking of a Scooby No.5 after Xmas in the New Year! I was thinking about a e46 M3 its a tuff Call! :roll: I have had a good time in the Honda! and enjoyed 30+ MPG so been reading up on Scoobys runing on LPG my budget will be around 7k so am thinking about a Mint STI-7 And converting to LPG that will give me a nice strong scoob that will return about 40MPG for the same price as runing on V-Power! This sounds very tempting to Me! Well the misses seems happy with it so all good! Option 2 Get a Blob eye STI with Twin Scrool and DCCD but back to high running costs of 20MPG Day to Day! :evil: This is what made me leave subaru owner ship! so am thinking option one is Best! Have any of you Lads run on LPG! Let me know you think! :wink:

Thanks Alan! :D

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

e46 M3 :wink: :wink: Im sooo tempted with one also, 300+ bhp thru the rears hehe :lol:

3. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

Dont shoot me but if you get the dccd option can you not run at just the rears that way not powering all four wheels and lowerrunnin costs or is that my head makin stuff up lol

4. cross

cross Member

cotcomp did a load work on the lpg conversion & mapping, probably best to speak to them :wink: :wink:

5. dave-w-

dave-w- Well-Known Member

i have dccd and the split at max is 35% front & 65% rear i think

6. andyscoob

andyscoob Active Member

Are there still issues when converting the subaru impreza engine to LPG???

I have been told by numerous LPG conversion companies that I have called that they still have issues with valve seat recession and that even the latest lubrication kits that are available will only delay it, not cure it.

7. scalesy

scalesy New Member

Lol Mark I can see were your head is coming from with thinking that m8 good thinking I would say! As I have said in the past to you! My old Ra was the best Scoob I ever had on juice on The back roads and M-way! I once got 286miles from one tank at a steady 80mph ie 4500rpm's in the Beast and that was at 330bhp with FMIC but I never really had the DCCD set to anything but to the fully rear setting ie 30/70 split on a V3 box! also I had a switch that Cut the power to the DCCD controller! That I read can give you a bit more to the rear if no power goes to DCCD unit! :twisted: Seemed to work a treat as in the snow only the back wheel would spin up Lol Mark you got me thinking about a Type-Ra or Type-R now m8 :lol:

8. scalesy

scalesy New Member

I know Just what you mean Mark! :wink: I think the e46 m3 is one of the best looking cars ever made! And I know it sounds silly but being the big Kid that I am it's the little things like the pump up bolsters in the seats to hold you nice and tight as you lay down 340Bhp threw the Back wheels and Drift it round the Bend! Lol and the little lights on Rev counter that move up the Red Line as it warms up like the M5 :twisted: And all the other little toys you have like cruz control and all that nice stuff and 30 mpg on the run! All this for 7k it's hard not too and maybe wrong not to try one! :lol: 8)

9. scalesy

scalesy New Member

These are the things I have been reading about Andy m8 and believe this more of a problem on the N/A boxer motors! All to do with crap jap metal lol dont happen on the German Stuff! But I hear the WRX and STI's have harder valve seats!
    The LPG kits have come a long way now! 8) I have read of STI's with over 40k on gas with no problems what so ever! But this is with the best lubrication kits and making sure they a kept topped up! I wonder if some of the problems are down to some forgetting to top them up! :shock: The thing is here how many have left Subaru ownership due to the price of fuel costs!
    This could be the future and a way to make a Subaru a good economical car to own and use on a day to day basis! :D
    I know it's around £1800 for a good kit fitted and seems a lot to outlay! But with LPG half the price of UL it works out to around 40mpg in a STI for the same price as V-Power! :p And you will not lose any power! Even if the heads went after 30-40k for the price you can pick up a set of heads it would still save you a fortune! It seems a good idear and I am very tempted to try this myself. It would be nice if it worked and made owning a Subaru as cheap to run as a Honda! And the world would be a better Place!

And Mark I will give them Call m8 :wink:

10. ProdriveWagon

ProdriveWagon 3rd Scoob = an ej20 engined Hatch

Here we go again :roll:

Get a Clio 192 and a cd of the Scooby Burble turned up to MAX :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with the hunt mate :wink: , me thinks you find the hunting for the right car better than actually driving them :lol:

11. scalesy

scalesy New Member

Lol Darren I like driving them but want to try them all you see if I read about hot hatch classics like the Clio 172 cup or Civic Type-R I have to try them for myself! It's just my way! And out of the two I can say the Honda wins Hands Down! And they were both very mint Examples! So now I got that out of my mind! And know the true winner! It's back to trying out different Scoobys! Not had a New Age STI and got that feeling I need one so Scooby No.5 here I come I hope! :lol: There is a minter waiting for me out there! But you know what I am like it could have a M badge on it! :oops:

But if I get a STI and LPG it! The thing will have to be a Keeper for a bit atleast a year to pay for the Conversion! :p

12. Neil

Neil Active Member

Best newage, within reasonable budget, would be a blob jdm...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That'll be a First anyway!

Michael

14. markscooby

markscooby Active Member

buy a scooby and a cheap derv car to and have best of both worlds

15. scalesy

scalesy New Member

L39 postcode! :roll: Mark m8 can not afford two cars! Would love a JDM Blob Neil but it will leave me short for the LPG conversion! 20mpg is harsh in these tuff times! Look at the RR day no takers! Sad but true! :( I love Subaru's but can not afford the fuel! If this LPG is a no no think I am going to have to wait a bit longer till I am back in a Scoob!

16. Neil

Neil Active Member

For the LPG option, you have to look at how many miles you do over a year, then factor in the cost of the LPG conversion, and the zero re-sale value of a LPG converted Subaru.

Running a Subaru as a daily is almost impossible, I no longer use one day to day, and I live less than 5 miles away from work.

17. scalesy

scalesy New Member

Very true Neil but I would remove the LPG before resale! So I am not the only one that finds it hard to run a Scoob as a day to day drive! Looks like it my be that e46 M3 after all!

18. whitep1

whitep1 Active Member

Honestly mate,if fuel is your main concern,the M3 may not be what your after :wink: If your doing a fair few miles it might be ok,i can get about 34mpg going up to Scotland,but going to work and back i,m getting 21mpg :shock: ,i was getting 23 in the P1.It does,nt bother me as i,m not doing big miles,but just thought i,d let you know.

Steve

19. njberrie

njberrie New Member

Had a lad round last week selling a jdm bugeye if youd be interested in that with a 2.1 stroker

20. whitep1

whitep1 Active Member

Just read the whole thread,if your looking at £7k,your not going to get a lot of M3,and possibly one thats going to be expensive to sort/run/low spec,just a thought.

If your liking the Honda,have you thought about an Integra type-r DC2??
    Brilliant car,one of the best i,ve ever owned,and in the right hands it would give any scooby a run for its money.