New Alloys, do I need to tell my insurers?

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by fordy1, Mar 29, 2006.

1. ELV1S

ELV1S Administrator

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by marc</i>
    <br />So all your heartache for nothing then [:D]
    Told you it was the best thing to do and declare.
    Anyway being a scouser how long to you expect the wheels to be on your car [;)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Depends how long it takes for hin to nick someone elses first [:D]

2. Gary

Gary Active Member

They don insure wheels in scouser land

Just the bricks [;)]

3. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

im coming in my mates car carrier next meet, then well see whos laughing.

4. Gary

Gary Active Member

Where did he nick it from [:0][:D]

5. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

robinsons of rochdale.

6. Godzilla

Godzilla New Member

Reality check now.

I DO STRONGLY recommend that anyone modding their car tells their insurance of the mods BUT there is another side to the coin.

In the real world, MOST insurance assessors have NOT got a clue. Heres a few ABSOLUTELY GENUINE events that happened during my time at Jap.

1. Car comes in having ar5e ended someone. Lots of mods including FMIC. ALL declared to insurance though with this guy. Car comes to us for fixing. Car ran onto a tow ball so FMIC has an imprint of a toe ball in it. Assessor turns up and says "Wow. Thats made a mess of his radiator hasn it?" I waited for him to laugh but he was serious.[:D]

2. Car comes in. Again, ar5e ender. Car had full decat, white 18s (obviously not OEM), lowered, induction kit, dumpvalve etc. Owned by a young lad who hadn told his insurers! Assessor came in, walked round car, scribbled a bit, walked some more, walked out. Insurance paid out over £3k for repair!

And my personal favourite.....

Before Scoobydom I had a Porsche 944 Turbo and it had an electrical fault and set on fire. Destroyed dash, loom (new loom incidentally from Porsche is 5 grand![:0]) and windscreen but interior and exterior fine. I panicked like mad as I had a K&N filter and hadn told the insurers (naughty boy), so before assessor came I swapped it back to OEM (2min job). Assessor turned up and said "mmmm a Porsche. Lovely car. Is it a 911?" [;)]

Insurance companies do take the p1ss a bit. Extra for this and extra for that but when I upgraded from the crappy OEM cat2 immobiliser to a top of the range all singing all dancing Clifford, did I get a discount? NO.

It does annoy me that I used to see MANY Subaru drivers who NEVER declare anything and a lot who aren even insured at all[:0] and seem to get away with it while the honest ones have to pay through the nose and even then, the insurance swines will try and worm out of paying up if they can.

That said, I suppose honesty is always the best policy.

7. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

what he said.