New Alloys, do I need to tell my insurers?

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by fordy1, Mar 29, 2006.

1. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

im pretty sure thats what my last line states Gary.

but what about optional extras? Ive been through my insurance docs and can I find anything about modifications, can I flip.

Anyway, nevermind, theyll take a call from me and Ill play the broken wheel scenario. If they want to be sods about it, they get a cancellation request for my car AND my contents insurance.

2. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

Im officially NOT modding beyong this point anyway, it doesn need it.

3. Gary

Gary Active Member

Your confusing me now Dave [:eek:)]

Im lost in all this now [:D]

4. marc

marc New Member

Dave you make your own descisions as regards your wheels we can only offer you our advice.
    You can take it or leave it.
    The only winner is the insurance company if they refuse to pay.
    You can appeal but it will still take you twelve monthes before anybody even looks at it.
    Bite the bullet mate and tell them it might cost you nothing.
    I declared my 18 s and it cost me nought so give it a go.
    Good luck mate.[:D]

5. nas sti

nas sti New Member

how do u know it takes 12 months marc [;)] have u been swindling insurance companys [:0] are the 6 pots fitted yet[?]

6. marc

marc New Member

A mate of mine works for a major insurance company and if a claim is refused then there is an appeal procedure ,that if cannot be sorted out is taken to a independant ombudsmen ,these things can often take a minimum of 12 monthes to sort out.[:(]
    Gettinf ap s fitted this week and yes im going to tell my brokers [:(]
    Have you sorted your turbo out yet [?]

7. rusty

rusty New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by marc</i>
    <br />
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Don worry, insurance companies like bigger brakes [:D] and you usually don get a hike in premiums - I didn [8D] though they wanted £40 to change the backbox [:(] which is why, after 2.5 years, Im still on the peashooter [^]

8. Gary

Gary Active Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rusty</i>
    <br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by marc</i>
    <br />
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Don worry, insurance companies like bigger brakes [:D] and you usually don get a hike in premiums - I didn [8D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I was told different by mine, they said bigger brakes = people think they can go faster because they they can stop quicker, going quicker = more liability = hike in insurance [V]

9. mcscoobydoo

mcscoobydoo New Member

It doesnt matter what you do, they put a charge on !
    Fit more airbags to reduce accident effect, they will up the premium as you feel safer and will drive faster.
    tell em or you wont get a payout - worse still, you may be liable for the cost of third party if they cancel your policy in the event of a crash thats your fault !!!

As all advice given has said "tell them" wether you spend £2k or £2 on wheels they are different than factory std

10. Gary

Gary Active Member

Your right Andy

In a nutshell Dave and to summarise

a)buy a standard car then get it insured
    b)Modify it - Inform your Insurance company of the modifications

OR

Don tell em and worry that your not fully covered [:(]

Thats it [^]

11. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

well thats put my insurance up to a grand from £400.

Thanks.

12. Gary

Gary Active Member

Well Dave

You did ask the question mate

I suggest you change your Insurance company because they are taking the micky out of you.

13. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

Nah, only joking.
    Costing me nothing but a slightly higher excess.

If it had cost a grand, youd have heard the phone slam down all around the world.

14. Gary

Gary Active Member

Phew

thats a relief

See - told you it was worth ringing

Peace of mind now [^]

15. KEV C

KEV C Lifetime and founder member

If your insurance has gone uo £600 just for putting some wheels on then i suggest you either DONT make any mods or look for another insurance company.
    When i started declaring mods with A-Plan they told me it was £25 extra for any additional modification to the car so its quite apparent that your insurers don want your business.
    Time to change i think!!!!

16. KEV C

KEV C Lifetime and founder member

Forget what i just wrote, missed all the other replies whilst i was typing with one finger[:eek:)]

17. Parky

Parky New Member

If its any help liverpool victoria dont seem to mind any mods, unless its engine swaps etc....

give them a try..[;)]

18. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

i always shop around anyway, so itll be a miracle if im still with my insurer come October.

19. marc

marc New Member

So all your heartache for nothing then [:D]
    Told you it was the best thing to do and declare.
    Anyway being a scouser how long to you expect the wheels to be on your car [;)]

20. Gary

Gary Active Member

[:0][:0][:0][:D]