need help, rear washer jet isnt working

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by fordy1, Dec 12, 2008.

1. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

I've checked inside the tailgate, theres no leak there i can hear the pump under the bonnet working but no jet comes from the rear washer.

What am I missing?

Thanks

David

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

is it frozen up?

3. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

at first i'd thought that which is why I stripped the tailgate but its definately not. Is there a pump in the tailgate or only under the bonnet? I cant see any leaks under the bonnet either and im not sure where the feed is for the back I can only trace the front washer feeds so Im pretty lost. Where does the rear feed run on the car?

If there was a leak in the cabin I'd notice wouldn't I?

4. pitcha44

pitcha44 New Member

is the jet bloked up. can jet blocked with sediment(sp) in the water bottle,dirt and when you polish the car. get a pin push in to see if that helps :D

5. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

It worked for about 2 seconds before but stopped again, I'll have a look at the nozzle and jab a pin in it.

Any other ideas just in case?

Thanks for the advice

D

6. Graphite

Graphite 23rd June 2016 - Vote LEAVE EU!

Can you disconnect the pipe at the rear anywhere - if you get water out of it that would indicate a nozzle problem...

7. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

Didn't think of that, ill do it tomorrow when its light.

8. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

after 3 months of ignoring the problem I disconnected the pipe just now, theres no water coming from it when the jet is activated. The motor/pump is making a noise but I cant rule out wether or not its broken.

If the pipe was damaged somewhere along the run, I'd know about it right? There'd be a damp patch in the roof liner or fluid dripping from somewhere.

Any ideas?

9. JET

JET New Member

Check the pipe hasn't come off the motor mount :wink:

10. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

it hasn't as far as I can tell. Also there is no leakage from the engine bay.

11. scoobaru mad

scoobaru mad Active Member

by your avatar, you seem to have a wagon. the wagon washer bottle, an pump are behind the rear passenger light, if you open the boot, you will see a nozzle cap thing just above the light. i dont wana insult you, or make this sound daft. just make sure theres some water in it? :wink:

12. Gary

Gary Active Member

13. JET

JET New Member

2000 Wagon by the looks of it, 2 motors 1 tank under the bonnet init?

14. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

yes 2 motors 1 tank, i'll have to take it out and see what happens then.

15. Pull the pipes off the pumps and see if each pump squirts water.

If they do the problem is in the pipe.

If one doesn't, I've a spare pump you could try at a meeting/event - just let me know & I'll fetch it along.

16. Greyscale

Greyscale 2011 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Estate Titanium X

Dave they also have a 1 way valve usually located in the tailgate pipework. These have been known to block and prevent flow. Hope you sort bud.

Steve

17. scoobaru mad

scoobaru mad Active Member

ahhh, ya c, i didnt know that :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

18. ifearnley

ifearnley Member

Swap the pipes from one pump to the other (if they are the same diameter) and see if water moves then too - that will tell you if it's a pump problem or not.

Don't forget that the rear button will operate the front jets and vicky vercky.

19. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

I had the tailgate apart at lunch, disconected the pipe but got no flow from the pipe. Tried it on the way home tonight and got a weak jet then nothing.

I'll try the pipes going into the tank at lunch tomorrow and hope its the pumps.

20. fordy1

fordy1 New Member

comfort me here, if it was a pipe issue there would be evidence of a leak wouldn't there?

the last thing i want to do it try and replace any pipe work that might involve dismantling the interior.