My 1993 JDM Toyota Soarer 4.0 GT-Limited

Discussion in 'Other Performance Marques' started by Jellyroll, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Jellyroll

Jellyroll New Member

2. Jellyroll

Jellyroll New Member

What happened to my 1993 JDM Toyota Soarer 4.0 GT-Limited

[​IMG] Fractured wheel [​IMG] Collapsed suspension

[​IMG] Deformed axle [​IMG] Bodywork

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you seem to have a slight problem there well just get some t cut, a piece of blue tack for the wheel then take to kwikfit for wheel allighnment :D

4. Blingscooby

Blingscooby Active Member

PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Jellyroll

Jellyroll New Member

Steady on, chaps. Those last four photos were only taken last Tuesday. :cry:

6. zero260

zero260 New Member

How did it happen. :?:

7. Jellyroll

Jellyroll New Member

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sorry if it hit a nerve but at least you have found a scooby and lads
    just remember everything happens for a reason :D 8)

9. Jellyroll

Jellyroll New Member

So, I picked up my SVX last Saturday afternoon, and have had a week to live with it.

Things I don't like about it include all the niggling little (and big) faults that should have been dealt with before I took delivery, such as the CD Changer being missing from boot, the rear-view mirror being so loose it droops when driving, the automatic aerial being kinked, and a worrying noise from the nearside rear wheel implying that the claim that the bearings had been done might not be entirely accurate. :evil: The LPG system is also not entirely as it should be. <sigh>

It is difficult to compare it to my Soarer (for which my insurers have offered me £2,500 less my excess -- it's clearly a claim on the other party's insurance, so why make me go through the aggravation of having to claim back my excess separately?), which is one of the main reasons I bought it. Replacing one loved rare-ish car with another risks severe disappointment if the replacement is not as good, and severe wallet-drain trying to make it as good. On the other hand, as both cars were top-of-the-range luxury coupés in 1992, there should be much that is similar.

So, what do I not like about the SVX that is not a result of a fault?

Well, the split windows are interesting, but I have to say that I'm not a fan. Firstly, by opening so far back, I have to think twice before flinging my arm out to pay tolls at Dartford or on the M6 Toll, or risk rapping my knuckles. Also, in frosty weather, the wing mirrors are obscured by frost on the side window, but in an SVX that can't be dealt with by winding the window down -- wrong bit of the window!

The seat is also neither as comfortable as that in my Soarer (I was in it for six hours on Thursday, and my arse was completely square by the time I finished), nor as adjustable (manual lumbar support rather than motorised, and no "memory" setting). The passenger seat is completely manual, too.

The steering wheel is not as adjustable, and is again manual (automatic on the Soarer, including automatically retracting when the key is removed from the ignition, making getting in and out easier.) It's a close call, but the Soarer's wheel was marginally easier to live with when driving.

The suspension seems much less compliant than the Soarer's air-bag suspension. Maybe it's firmer to aid the AWD system. It doesn't make the car seem any safer on the road, though. It's probably as grippy as the Soarer under normal circumstances, and marginally less fun, being mainly front wheel drive unless the AWD system kicks in, while the Soarer offer the fun of rear wheel drive.

The slope on the windscreen is very, very shallow -- not so good for fixing my SatNav, but doubtless better for reducing drag. Makes me think I'm in a Renault Espace at times. :shock:

Finally, the locking on the SVX is not as convenient as the Soarer. The Soarer has a rocker switch on the driver's door that locks and unlocks both doors, and it has an anti-hijack feature that locks the doors if the speed goes above 25. The driver's door can be opened regardless of the locking status, meaning that the passenger door remains locked most of the time, again making it harder for hijackers and other baddies to get into the car.

By contrast, the SVX has an inaccessible door lock on the inside (shoulder-level) that operates the central locking, meaning that it's not easy (possible?) to have the driver's side unlocked and the passenger side locked.

And what do I like about the SVX?

Firstly, and in spite of Trev's comments, I like the exhaust note. At idle it sounds bubbly and happy, and impresses all who hear it. While it lacks the gorgeous 32-valve V8 roar that the Soarer's 4 litre lump offers, the sound of the 3.3 litre 24-valve boxer when pushed is not a bad noise, and makes the car go as fast as I want it to (I am, after all, an old man :lol:)

There is more rear passenger space in the SVX, and the fact that the rear seat can be folded makes it a much more practical load-carrier than the Soarer. The reason the Soarer's back seat was fixed is that the fuel tank was behind it. Where does the SVX keep its tank? Of course, the LPG conversion has put a 58 litre fuel tank where the spare wheel should sit, so boot space is at a premium even with the spare wheel left at home when it comes to my particular car, but the fold-down rear seats allow me to carry luggage in spite of this (although the fact that it is in open view makes me wary of leaving the car parked up when loaded).

Being a UK-spec car, the SVX has proper fog lights (the Soarer's were an add-on), and none of the switches are labeled in Klingon. Mind you, the Soarer had a fully digital dashboard, with a touch-screen TV/computer in the centre console. The SVX's dials and complete absence of any trip computer is a bit low-tech. 8)

Front fogs appear to be absent. Winter-mode for the windscreen wipers (parks them on the screen overnight, for easier defrosting on cold mornings, instead of tucking them out of the way) is a nice touch. As another legacy of its JDM origin, the Soarer's radio was Japanese spec, operating on FM from 76 to 90, requiring an expander to pick up stations between 90 and 104, and missing out on those above 104 (Magic 105.4 in London, for example) altogether. A UK spec radio as standard is much more convenient.

In terms of driving...I have to say that the Soarer was probably more fun to drive. The SVX is not at all bad, though, and the first day that the AWD gets me into (or out of) a situation that would have the Soarer struggling is the the day I will doubtless change my mind about which is the better drive. :D

The Cruise Control -- ah, now that's something that I'm very happy with. The Soarer's conversion from kph to mph is electronic (because of the digital dashboard), and the unit that was fitted to mine forgot to change the cut-off point for the C/C. As a result, instead of disengaging below 40kph (25mph), it disengaged below 40mph! :roll: I use the C/C a lot, so I'm pleased to have one that works properly now.

In summary, I'd say the Soarer was far and away the more luxurious car, the sportier car, the prettier car, the car most likely to turn heads. The SVX is not far behind in terms of being behind the wheel, even if it is frankly ugly, and is far more practical, especially now that I live somewhere with a few hills (Essex is very, very flat) and a bit of rain (my old house was in the driest part of the country).

If I don't yet love the SVX, I doubt that I'll hate it, and (unless it proves unreliable) I doubt that I'll regret buying it. All I have to do now is find someone who can maintain it properly, and help me out with little problems -- such as there being no illumination whatsoever behind any of the switches and buttons when the car's lights are on, whether it's the fog/demister/hazards etc. buttons behind the steering wheel, or the aerial and "manual" buttons by the gear shift. It's not a fuse problem, so either every single bulb has gone (quite a coincidence) or whoever fitted the Cobra alarm system has broken something (quite probable, alas). The interior light also doesn't work. Bulb again, or fault? I shall have to do some research...

Once it's stopped annoying me, it should start to grow on me. :D

10. Jellyroll

Jellyroll New Member

The above may be largely nonsense. :oops:

I've just read that the SVX is apparently 35/65 F/W under normal driving, changing to 50/50 if front wheel traction is lost. So it's between one third and one half front wheel drive. :wink:

11. evertonal

evertonal New Member

About claiming back you excess ring Dominic Thompson of Ellen Court Partnership (Preston),01772882888, he's a good friend and a great brief.
    Tell him Alan Brownrigg sent you you'll get a boss deal off hime

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i second that i have also used the ellen court partnership very good all setteled quick

13. mufcdamo

mufcdamo New Member

i can understand why you are upset my mates dad had a Soarer a few years back awsome car with awsome performance