Motorway speed limit increase

Discussion in 'General LADS chat' started by Watky, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Watky

Watky New Member

What's everbodys opinion on the proposed 80mph limit on motorways??

After twenty odd years driving the lenght and breadth of the country I really don't see the point anymore :shock: maybe a few years ago but with the increase in fuel and how busy the roads are now!!just a complete waste of time..............after all it won't save your licence if you go for a blast in your Scoob :wink:

I for one won't travel any faster, I use on average sixty quid a week on fuel any how.

Mark

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think it's fantastic news, anybody with a performance car can let Rip when it's safe to do so without fear of the plod, i'm already planning a M6, M65, M61 Circuit and I might even sell tickets like a track day :wink:

Michael

3. markscooby

markscooby Active Member

dont think its fair for a 80mph as how will a Morris Minor owner do 80 mph

4. Angry Kid

Angry Kid New Member

Not just an increase on motorway but a decrease round the city to 20 mph :shock:

5. Silver Angel

Silver Angel Active Member

A lot of the streets within estates and near schools are 20mph now anyway and as for the motorway how many people keep to 70mph anyhow :roll: :roll:

6. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

My thought exactly, I do quite a lot of motorway miles and people are very rarely doing 70,

Its all a bit relative anyway if we all do 80 instead of 70 is this going to stop the jams?? I think not, everyone`s still going to arrive at the same place at the same time, just a bit earlier if you know what i mean.... :lol:

7. ELV1S

ELV1S Administrator

As already said, most people still only do around 70 anyway, mainly because there's too much traffic to go any faster.

I've noticed quite a difference in fuel cosumption at 70 as opposed to 80, so 70 ish for me in the C5

60 - 70 in the P1 the majority of the time.

It's nice to know you can do 80 with no worries anymore though :wink:

8. njberrie

njberrie New Member

Never knew there was a speed limit on there :lol: :lol:

9. Silver Angel

Silver Angel Active Member

when is this supposed to start ?

10. Toffee

Toffee New Member

I am pretty much always doing 90, so now I will only be speeding by 10mph 8) as it is now you wouldnt expect a pull at 80mph, so I hope 90mph will be the same when the new law comes in :D the faster we all get to where we are going the less cars there are on the road 8)

11. njberrie

njberrie New Member

Good point :lol:

12. njberrie

njberrie New Member

A point i used the other night and some how pursuaded the officer to just laugh was:

A massive amount of accidents happen when people are messing with phones, stereos, eating, drinking or in deep conversation and il bet most of these are done at slow around town speed where not much concentration is used,

try texting at high speed on full boost

13. andyscoob

andyscoob Active Member

I totally agree. The amount of people you see driving around town doing the above is frightening. Also running red lights is another one which is careless and needs clamping down on.

14. p shore sti

p shore sti New Member

i do 70 + miles a day it`s quiet in the morning at 5 o`clock but you still get the odd middle lane sitters etc so you can go as fast as you like , what i would say safely. on the way home after 5 is horrble! rear and side mirrors become obselete and an indication light is good enough to just pull out. every body wants their own lane doin the same speed! had a merc pull out into the fast lane the other day at last minute and tapped his brake lights ! nothing in front of him!
    i think there should be a statutory motorway driving test cos some people don`t have a clue what they`re doin, and wonder why you`ve just under cut them etc etc etc few!!!!
    love motorways!!! :D

15. Widdowmaker

Widdowmaker Well-Known Member

Personally, I find 62 mph in the golf achieves 60 mpg in the golf..... at 80 mpg I average about 48 mpg.

Has something been announced then over a planned change to the speed limit? I had a google to see if Cameron had said something at the conference but i cant find anything.

16. Watky

Watky New Member

Transport secretary Philip Hammond, has been taking about it last week Jim,
    was all over the radio all week

Great mpg out the golf Jim, I get 42-48 depending on temp at 80 and mid 50's at 70, out of the big Citroën. And 30mpg whilst towing :) :lol:

17. Widdowmaker

Widdowmaker Well-Known Member

Ahhhh - that will be why I havent heard anything about it. Was working away again.....

18. FroSTI

FroSTI Well-Known Member

I heard that it will go up to 80 but the intent is to more rigidly enforce the speed limit :shock:

At the other end of the scale 20 MPH signs are being put up all over our local area. Highways agency put sign up in our street yesterday. I agree with it for some streets and outside schools etc but in some places its just a waste of time IMHO. Blanket coverage is being applied where there is no justification for it :roll: :x

19. Braggy71

Braggy71 Well-Known Member

I believe the idea is that they will put the limit up to 80mph but they will be much more focussed on pulling anyone up doing over the speed limit.

20. thatscoobyrocks

thatscoobyrocks Well-Known Member

Its a sensible move but you can't get to 80 mph for a sustainable period with the volume of traffic on motorways now.

I find it better to cruise and listen to my music and its usually a more enjoyable ride and the journey time not much longer with a fuel saving too.

I'll leave the high speeds for where I know its safe to do so in the STI :wink: