login lost

Discussion in 'Help, Support, Bug reports & Problems' started by lpg224kW, Jul 18, 2006.

1. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

I've had my login go missing quite a few times recently. I've been logged in, maybe typing up a post, which for could take ages, come to post and the log in's gone so can't post. Is this a problem for anyone else??

I've been having problems generally with internet connectivity but I thought I resolved them with a change in modem.... but maybe not. :?:

2. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

Not had any similar reports as yet, do you have Automatic Login checked?

3. phil_wrx

phil_wrx New Member

yep i had the same problem using mozzila firefox hence why i thought it was working with firefox

4. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

No

5. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

Just happened again, sure no one else is getting this?? Would this be a symptom of a transient internet connection failure??

6. TunnelMeister

Still no other reports of this, I can check with PHP to see if this is a bug.

Re. your question, I believe so. If your connection is dropped and remade automatically for you, it's possible you will need to log in again. Try ticking the automatic login box, see if that helps. :)

You also seem to be using two disctinctly different IP addresses. Are you logging on at different locations or with more than one provider?

7. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

From home I have changed from a dial up with orange to a broadband with plusnet. this occured some 2 months ago.

I also connect from work and this will obviously be a different ISP and Ip address. Problem first noticed at work... don't think the connection fails there very often although at home it's a bl**dy lottery at the moment...

I'll tick the auto log in anyway :)

8. TunnelMeister

Auto login should help.

The problem can be caused by your ISP constantly changing your IP address as you browse the site. The bbs tracks you by a combination of username & IP amongst other things. When the bbs asks your ISP for your current IP each time you post etc, if the answer is largely different from the last time then the login is dropped. Some ISP randomly allocate addresses from a large 'pool' of numbers. AOL are a pain for this I understand.

I had a look at the IP's you have been allocated recently and they do appear to differ quite a lot, hence my question, this may be a part of your problem.

Oh, and clean-ups that remove temp files, cookies etc will certainly give you this problem.

No real answer for you but it may help to understand... :D :wink: