LED indicators

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by ifearnley, Jan 15, 2016.

1. ifearnley

ifearnley Member

Has anyone changed their indicator bulbs to LED?

I don't like the idea of putting those large resistor blocks in parallel to the bulb and was considering switch the indicator relay from thermal to electronic... What are your experiences of this relay?

2. thatscoobyrocks

thatscoobyrocks Well-Known Member

Ian am I missing something I thought you could just change 1 for 1 like side lights?

3. mickp

mickp Well-Known Member

LED's can throw up issues Andy with modern car electrics. Because they consume so little power I know I had an issue with a bulb failure light illuminating.

Nothings straight forwards :cry:

ProdriveWagon likes this.
  4. ifearnley

ifearnley Member

Andy, if you put LED bulbs in, the indicators flash quickly like a blown bulb.

This is because most old car flasher units are thermal operated rather than electronic timers, they work on the amount of current drawn.

You can do it 2 ways, put massive 50w resistors in parallel with each LED bulb (or put a normal bulb in parallel.. Defeats the object?), or you can change the flasher unit to an electronic timer.

The price is similar, about £10 for the flasher unit or 4 resistors

5. thatscoobyrocks

thatscoobyrocks Well-Known Member

Thanks Ian for the electrics lesson very interesting, no problem with side, number plate or or tail lights then? I have side LEDs Osram which work great.