is it worth owning a WRX

Discussion in 'General LADS chat' started by mikey, Jan 3, 2015.

1. mikey

mikey Member

its no wonder this forum is dying a death when you have members stating on the forum that wrx imprezas are not even worth having,this forum is supposed to be promoting subaru ownership and enjoyment whatever model you own, be it a 22B or a sport,to state that a wrx is not worth having is just going to make people think that if they dont own an STI or a limited edition they might as well not bother getting involved ,thats just my thoughts

2. ELV1S

ELV1S Administrator

IMO Mike any Subaru is worth owning, it all depends want you want out of which model as well as which WRX?

I'd say most WRX are up to the job, either in modified form or srandard for that matter.

Classic WRX are a lot different than newage WRX, especially if it's a UK version.

Not sure whose rattled your cage over this but I'd love to be able to run around in a WRX newage.

I'm sure someone else will be along to agree or disagree with me and include more info for you.

3. madman

madman Well-Known Member

wrx

Hi I own a 2003 black wrx with gold wheels .
    I use it as a daily driver and love it .
    its all abt what you want .and no one else. mine is black people said it should be blue . I said WHY if everything was the same it would be a bloody boring world

4. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

Think this is in reference to thenewgalaxy's post in the picture gallery

i only had wrxs and always had a smile when i drove them but you only have to look round at people who have had the same car for years to know that if its your car and you like it then stuff what the rest of the world thinks!!!

5. mickp

mickp Well-Known Member

Loved my WRX back in the day. If I am totally honest, I wish I had kept it (something about that car). Never bothered about what others think or I wouldn't have bought a Hatch. Totally understand what you are saying though Mikey and you are right.

STI is the one that everyone bangs on about but it's definitely not the be all and end all. Best to buy what you fancy and can afford. Absolutely nothing wrong with owning a WRX.

6. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

I've had both,

The wrx is a better day to day ride, the sti has better brakes from standard,

The 5speed box is also better round town than the 6 for me,

Must admit the sti visually looks better, with a nicer interior, but all these points are not hard to change,

7. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

Someone voices an opinion on a forum and there's a hurt post in the main thread about it? Grow up!

If you disagree with me then fair enough, at the end if the day I'm just another idiot on a forum who has an opinion.

I'm not going to further fuel the fire of a WRX vs STI debate but a regular WRX is not for me, it is a compromise weighted too far away from what I want from a car and for that reason not a car I would consider owning.

8. mikey

mikey Member

you got the idiot part correct

9. ELV1S

ELV1S Administrator

Guys play nicely, everyone is entitled to an opinion, no name calling is required.

Blimey it's a while since I've had to write something like that :lol:

Gary likes this.
  10. Scooby Stevo

Scooby Stevo Well-Known Member

I've owned

97 uk wagon
    95 Type RA ver 2
    04 STI Ver 8
    97 Type RA
    04 Blob Wagon
    99 STI Ver 5
    97 STI Ver 3 Wagon
    02 WRX Wagon
    97 Type RA (again)

don't know what all the fuss is about, there's not massive differences between wrx and sti - all been brilliant cars - agree the wrx probably a bit softer for everyday use.

11. KenSingTon

KenSingTon New Member

I can see the ban hammer waving. ....

12. Graphite

Graphite 23rd June 2016 - Vote LEAVE EU!

I think the message I have had is not that WRX is not worth owning... BUT that if you really want an STi then the most efficient route to get there is to buy an STi rather than buy a WRX and change it bit by bit into an STi. As far as I can see it is sound advice, but it doesn't mean that a WRX isn't a great car to own - or even an NA or a diesel...

Through changing circumstances I needed the extra space of a Legacy for my growing lads - I know it's not everybodys taste ( otherwise more of you would have one :lol:) but I feel quite welcome at club meets and getting involved in discussions about stuff. A few other members own Foresters and BRZs too. I think we are a pretty all inclusive club.

Richards Cosworth is awesome... with some really nice mods - if he expresses the opinion that a WRX is not the same and it's not for him - well he's right it isn't the same...

There will always be someone with a bigger, better, faster car. - Even Toffee isn't up to the power of the Gobstopper yet :wink: We just need to enjoy what we have and learn from others on the forum and club meets and have fun together...

13. madman

madman Well-Known Member

wrx

well said . could not have said it better my self . well I did try lol .

14. Steve T

Steve T Member

I,ve owned 5 Impreza,s, including a 93 Wrx import, a Sti4, a MY00 Uk Turbo with 340 brake and my current 05 Jdm widetrack with 375 brake. The nicest cars to drive were the Wrx import and the Uk turbo, nice ride and nice power. They are all good, but if you want to tune the car, as has been said many times before, the best base is the Sti. Steve. :)

15. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

I don't wish to turn this into a slanging match, but with respect you have completely taken what I have said out of context on another section of the site and started a rant on the main thread. I actually don't know what your problem is.

I have not even said that a WRX is a bad car in any way. That is your interpretation.

I've said and I'll quote "He's got a newage WRX now but has got the only one in my opinion worth owning."

For the record, "he" has a JDM import model WRX. It comes as standard with many features that the UK cars don't have, including AVCS heads. This forum has many members who own JDM cars - including myself - who can tell you in a lot of detail about how these models differ to those offered in other markets.

If people didn't feel strongly enough in the same way then these cars would not be over here and we'd all be content enough owning regular UKDM models.

16. snoball scoob

snoball scoob New Member

i've owned both and for me the WRX is still as capable in the right hands as the STI but hell the wrx was sooooo much easier to live with - for me the 5spd box is better suited - the seats are more sit in and softer on my butt --- it's a marmite question and upgrades for everything are freely available so does it really matter --

the national speed limit is still 70mph ;) no matter what gets said :)

17. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

You guy's...lol, I drive a Tribeca, what on earth is the fuss about..... :D

Dave, bit like the old days eh... Lol.

18. ELV1S

ELV1S Administrator

lol just a bit Steve :banghead::rofl:

19. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

I think the 2.5 uk WRX has avcs heads?

20. snoball scoob

snoball scoob New Member

if it's the heads you're worried about just get them decked :) problem solved ;)