irrattating problem

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by finley44, Apr 28, 2007.

1. finley44

finley44 Active Member

car wont boost above 4.5k when i try to go over that i get juddering like its running on 3 cylinders, also get unburnt fuel out of exhaust, anyone any ideas, car was a1 before i had boost controller taken off so dont think its any sensors etc, also no check engine light, i did have some problems 02 sensor, icvs & throttle position sensor all fixed & ecu reset no more cel

2. finley44

finley44 Active Member

no one :?:

3. GazandKatie

GazandKatie New Member

Im no tech bod Finley but thats what mine did when my MAF was goosed. The engine check light didnt come on either.

Worth a look if you are still running one on your car

Cheers

Gaz

4. mufcdamo

mufcdamo New Member

have you checked the boost solinoid m8

5. finley44

finley44 Active Member

i'll check maf & boost solenoid or hopefully whitworthf will :wink:

6. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

Sounds like it's going into 'get you home' mode Steve? Whilst it's typical of a maf issue other things can cause it. The unburnt fuel things sounds very much like Lambda sensor though it would be strange for the two things to pack up together. :?

If you've removed a boost controller, is the ecu still fueling for that boost level and now putting too much in? This would also soot up the plugs & Lambda....

Just a thought... :wink:

7. scoobaru mad

scoobaru mad Active Member

useful tips

something similar is happening to mine, its not juddering, but it keeps dropping boost. you can see theres a big drop on the boost gauge. ive done the engine check, with the 2 connectors under the dash, an the ecu says everything's fine. when i reset the ecu, the problem goes away. week later or so. problem returns... tis very irritating!!! :evil:

8. GazandKatie

GazandKatie New Member

When my Maf was goosed I was told that a duff Maf would eventually kill the Lambda sensor too

9. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

If a problem returns after an ecu reset you should NOT reset again. The ecu has detected a potential problem and adjusted the settings for protection. The fault should really be fully diagnosed before a further reset. Just for info... sorry if you already knew. :D

10. CAMS

CAMS LADS Sponsor

ste check the pipe work to boost solenoid with another car. to make sure pipes are in correct place :wink:

11. finley44

finley44 Active Member

already replaced lambda

12. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

If it only happened when you removed the boost controller then I suggest either something is not connected or plumbed correctly or something else has been disturbed.

13. finley44

finley44 Active Member

replumbed boost solenoid as per jim littens description, dont make no difference, tried a 3 port same problem, when on motorway at 4k put my foot down as if to overtake, car starts missing as if running on 3 cylinders, and unburnt fuel goes out of exhaust, i let revs drop to under 4k & its happy again, also when going uphill at 4k starts again until revs drop to 3.5k.

no cel

could it be coil pack, plugs or plug leads if it could can anyone lend me any of them to eliminate problem, needs to be quick as car supposed to be getting power fc & re map this saturday

14. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Without seeing the car it's difficult to diagnose, but if it was running OK before the boost conroller was removed then the problem has been triggered by its removal.

Andrew...

15. CAMS

CAMS LADS Sponsor

ste have you tried cam/crank sensors :idea:

16. finley44

finley44 Active Member

no but wouldnt they flag ecu & record cel :?:

17. webby

webby New Member

this may sound like a daft question but does your speedo work?

18. finley44

finley44 Active Member

yes speedo works fine, what are you thinking :?:

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ste he thinkin if your speedo not workin that put u into get u home mode and not let your car rev

20. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Already been there guys :)

I suspect there is no speedo feed from the instrument cluster to the ECU and it is indeed in limp home mode.

It wasn't until yesterday that Steve mentioned that the clocks had been out to fit a speedo converter at the same time as the BC was removed.

Will have a closer look on Saturday...