internal heater water leak

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by funkyspider, Dec 19, 2005.

1. funkyspider

funkyspider New Member

2001 bugeye WRX

On a fairly long and quickish motorway drive I could smell coolant and the windscreen began to steam up even tho the heater was on. At the end of the journey I looked around and discovered a few drips of coolant on the passenger footwell carpet. Whats the most likely place for the leak to be comming from. Are there many hose clips to check in the passenger side leading to the heater core or is it a centre console out job. its certainly not loosing enough fluid to soak the carpet or drop the coolant level yet, just annoying steamed up windscreen !

Cheers
    Martin

2. nas sti

nas sti New Member

sounds like the heater matrix has gone [:0]
    normally a dash out job , don,t know about scoobys though

3. funkyspider

funkyspider New Member

Ive got to dash out and get one then eh - hehe.
    Water does seem to be comming down passenger side and its passenger side that steams up, so hopefully its on that side and easy to get to !

4. Velmadoo

Velmadoo New Member

Its not the best & nicest way to test but to see if it is Anti-freeze touch it with a finger then taste it[:0] if its realy sweet then you know for sure its prob gonna be your matrix!
    The other thing its could be, does your car have A/C??? it could be your drain pipe from the bottom of you heater box that has come off[;)]

5. Scoobydobydoo

Scoobydobydoo Lifetime and founder member

Sorry that was me posting[;)] made the wife sound as though she knew what she was talking about then[:D]

6. funkyspider

funkyspider New Member

yes its deff got anti freeze in - already tasted it.
    is it a big dashboard out job if its the matrix then - if you dont know can you ask your wife for me :)

7. Scoobydobydoo

LOL!

Yeh you have to take it out, remove the heated box & split it!
    Also you will have to have your A/C drained & refilled[:(]

8. funkyspider

funkyspider New Member

oh bugger, looks like ill have to cope with steamed up windows and coolant smell till after xmas, do you recommend anyone to do the work in lancaster area and how much do you estimate i should ask father christmas for to pay for it ! rar to recon refill !!

9. Scoobydobydoo

Dont live over that way mate to recomend anyone sorry[;)]
    The job will prob take around 5-6hrs so it all depends on there labour rate + the price of the part[:(][:(]

10. Cotcomp are over your way, and they give a discount to full members.

Q EL1VS & his send your membership money here post [:D]

11. scoobyphil2000

scoobyphil2000 No there not new wheels