Impreza has died on me

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Rich_D, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

I was driving into Preston this morning, in traffic up New Hall Lane from the Tickled Trout and suddenly my car started to sound like the alternator belt was slipping a little, then it began to idle roughly and cut out.

So I turned the key and it cracked up again, it was running a little lumpy, but started easilyt, however it then conked out again and I couldn't restart it. :?

Luckily I had a workmate in the car and we were at the top of the hill, so managed to push the car out of the way and into a side road, where I tried to get it going, without any joy.

Rang the AA, waited about 45 mins, he arrived and put some fuel in the car (even though I told him it had plenty in), checked for a spark, checked for fuel getting through, even pulled back the cambelt cover to check it was ok, but couldn't get it going.

After a long wait for a flat bed to arrive and take the car home, it's now sat outside dead and I can't get it going. Need to have a look at it now and figure out what's wrong, but not on a night like this!

I'm sure it's done it on purpose as I said I wanted to sell it yesterday :roll:

2. RSR

RSR New Member

Hi mate, Sorry to hear about this issues mate, what car have you got and what mods if any are you running?

Did the engine check light come on at any point?

How were you driving when you first noticed the odd noise and the rough idling?

Although im no expert, and i have very minimal knowledge of classics, infact I have minimal knowledge compared to most of the big-shots on sccobynet about the whole impreza, but Im sure we can make a start on this.....

You are sure that the timing belt hasnt slipped?

Rob

3. Scooby Stevo

Scooby Stevo Well-Known Member

i had exactly the same thing on my corsa last saturday - started then cut out - faulty maf sensor on that

4. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

it's a 1999 UK Turbo 2000, with PPP, otherwise basically standard, currently on 86k miles

no engine check light on at the time and I've since connected the black plugs to read any fault codes, but it's clear

at the time, I was in traffic, driving slowly and it was actually idling when it cut out, prior to this I hadn't been driving it hard either

not sure if the timing belt has slipped or not, all I know is the belt hasn't snapped, something I need to check, it was done 20k miles / 3 years ago, so should be ok

5. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

will see if I can borrow one to eliminate that, ta

6. scooby251

scooby251 Well-Known Member

I have a purple label maff off my 1998 turbo 200 you can try. I live in burnley :wink:

7. BARBARIAN

BARBARIAN New Member

My legacy did exaactly the same code said maf but it was the fuel pump just died luckily slik 50 rescued me with a new pump changed at the roadside whilst he took the pish mercilessy connected up whoosh runs like a good again

8. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

different unfortunately :cry:

thanks for the offer though

9. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

pump is definately a candidate, had a similar problem with the wifes old car with it running bad, randomly cutting out, etc... that turned out to be the pump

10. BARBARIAN

BARBARIAN New Member

Its a 30 minute job but mind you get all the 8mm nuts tight that petrols a bugger for burning oh and dont ask a sarcastic mate

11. scalesy

scalesy New Member

Can you hear the fuel pump priming? If not check the wires to fuel pump under the rear seat drivers side! This is a common problem. I had this on one of mine just cut out on me :( the seat can rub on the wires give them a little wiggle and see if it works or test them! Hope this is of help!

Alan! :D

12. nevo

nevo New Member

on my car a few months back it was the sigma alarm that had a fault on it.

sigma have a cut of to the ignition and the fuel pump. Their was a fault to the fuel pump caused by the alarm

13. scooby251

scooby251 Well-Known Member

I had this problem on mine too :wink:

14. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

all things to check this weekend, thanks for the help 8)

15. RSR

RSR New Member

Fingers Crossed its only a minor problem :!:

Quote: "suddenly my car started to sound like the alternator belt was slipping a little, then it began to idle roughly and cut out.

So I turned the key and it cracked up again, it was running a little lumpy, but started easilyt, however it then conked out again and I couldn't restart it"

I wouldnt have expected a noise like you described for fuel pump failure and certainly not for a wiring problem to the pump. A faulty Maf would create rough idlng, but again I dont think it would prevent the car from starting or running altogether.

Good luck, Im sure you will get to the source soon enough.

Rob

16. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

Took the afternoon off work to see if I could diagnose the problem...

Fuel is coming through at a hell of a rate, so it ain't the pump.

Looks like it could be the coil pack, no spark from the back 2 terminals and a weak spark from the front 2 terminals, so need to try another.

Does anyone have a spare coil pack for a 99 / 00 MY car I can try?

17. markscooby

markscooby Active Member

ive got one hear

18. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

where are you based Mark?

could I borrow it to try on my car please?

19. markscooby

markscooby Active Member

yes u can im right next to camalot theame park chorley will pm u my number

20. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

superb, you're a star! 8)