impreza bugeye wrx 2001 misfire p0301/302/303/304?????

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by andyb, Apr 15, 2015.

1. andyb

andyb New Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

My EML has been flashing on and off everyknown and again always when i accelerate ( misfire ), on the way home today the EML stayed on so this time so i could scan it and it came up with a misfire on all four cylinders....

p0301 + pending
    p0302 + pending
    p0303 + pending
    p0304 - no pending

7 fault codes in total

I already have some fresh plugs to put in which i was going to do anyway but this is going to be my first process of elimination as it isnt going to be wasted as i was going to do them anyway.

could anyone point me in the right direction?

coil packs, maf, map sensor, cps?????

thanks in advance, andy.

2. tharrington

tharrington Active Member

Speak to Tim or Brian at Cams they will sort you out chief.

3. andyb

andyb New Member

What way would you contact them? Thanks for the reply

4. steve@cotcomp

steve@cotcomp LADS Sponsor & Techno Bod

hi andy b, welcome to lads!

if this is a fault that's just started recently, ( i am assuming you've had the car for a good length of time before the fault started?) then its unlikely to be all 4 coil packs faulty at the same time.

but a good idea to do plugs if you think its due them anyway, i would use ngk bkr6eix's if the car is standard, gaped to .7mm. while the coils are out check the condition of the wiring connection as lots have the retaining clip snapped.

after that rather than guessing it would be best to have the sensor readings check on the laptop.

steve.

5. andyb

andyb New Member

thanks tharrington i took your advise and popped up to cams performance earlier today and brian taken it for a drive ( top bloke knows his stuff ), he agreed with me that there is something not right with it in that it is lacking power when the boost comes on. Brian checked a few things such as unplugging the lamba sensor which made no differance, decided there was no boost leak and that the ignition side of things was ok. I was kinda happy that the problem was not obvious as he agreed it is a strange one as the car is running great apart from the lack of grunt in the boost range.

Before i took the impreza up there i replaced the plugs to PFR6B stock number 3500 which was the same as i took out, i also cleaned my MAF.

Brian suggested that maybe my cat or cats were blocked up and should try and eliminate them by fitting my full 3" turbo back system. The upipe that i got with the system he said is no good so im currently looking for a HKS or classic uppipe as the internal diameter is too big therefore causing boost problems. He also suggested if that does not solve the power problem it needs putting on a computer and looking into. I have been told andrew carr is the man in the north west and is on here ......... maybe he can solve the problem and then remap with my exhaust system on.....

cheers for the reponse steve, while i was replacing the plugs i checked the condition of the coil packs and wiring and all seemed ok. I have a snap on diagnostic computer with i use for my landrover buisness but as everyone knows it only gives so much info so like you say it maybe needs putting onto a laptop to read the values of the fuel mixture etc etc....

when i first got the wrx 7 months ago it ran great but for the last couple of months it has ran sluggish, like you say with all 4 cylinders showing a misfire it cannot be one single coil pack at fault.

please help or i may have to get the renault 21 turbo back out as it is much more powerful at the moment lol

6. andyb

andyb New Member

bank 1 sensor 1 ( front )is 3.7 when on idle but when driving ranges from 3.2-4.8v???

sensor 2 ( rear )fluctuates from 0-900v

my question is should my sensor 1 be between 0/900v?

if i unplug the front sensor it makes no difference in power and still reads 3.7v

7. Davec

Davec New Member

Andy.

I would speak to Andy Carr I pretty sure he could diagnose the fault for you.

Regards.

Davec