Header questions

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by lpg224kW, May 18, 2006.

1. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

1. Is there a difference between Newage OEM STI and WRX headers?

2. What benefits are to be had from porting the headers, how much does it normally cost and does anyone come recommended?

3. Is there any improvement to be had, both in terms of spool up and engine bay heat minimization, in wrapping headers compared to sticking with the OEM heat shield??

Thanks for any answers

Ralph

2. Blingscooby

Blingscooby Active Member

1. Is there a difference between Newage OEM STI and WRX headers?
    Nope mine were listed for an 04 WRX/STi and they fit perfect.

2. What benefits are to be had from porting the headers, how much does it normally cost and does anyone come recommended?
    Proting is the best route to go if you don want to go much past 320BHP.

3. Is there any improvement to be had, both in terms of spool up and engine bay heat minimization, in wrapping headers compared to sticking with the OEM heat shield??
    The uprated headers give more torque and better gas flow at high BHP as for wraping its a must to keep the heat in the headers to push the gases through the system, also to stop the engine bay heating up.

3. Blingscooby

4. CAMS

CAMS LADS Sponsor

think ralph wants to know is the internal diameters the same on headers of a sti compared to a wrx[;)]

5. Blingscooby

6. Blingscooby

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by speedflash</i>
    <br />think ralph wants to know is the internal diameters the same on headers of a sti compared to a wrx[;)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Just measured the STi and WRX headers in the garage and the internal diameters are the same.

7. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

Er, what are the internal dimensions? are they the same. (Guess they must be otherwise wouldn offer same part to both STI & WRX would they[;)])

What about doin the job? Ive heard mention something around £150 but that seems pretty steep to me. Does anyone know how much the various bores are best opened up to. Also seeing as how you can get down the whole length of the various pipes but can only tickle away at the free ends why does it make any difference? Is it something to do with preventing back flow at low revs?? i.e is it only the down stream sides of each joint that are ported to creat a backwards facing step ->local regions of recirculation.... blather balther blather[xx(]... or what[:)]

Cheers

8. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Just measured the STi and WRX headers in the garage and the internal diameters are the same.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">like time travel on here: b4 you ask a question someones answered it. Tremendous[:D]

9. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Porting the headers isn about doing the whole tube, but the transitions from joint to joint, any step causes a flow distrubance which slows the gas speed and will reduce spool.

As for power limitations don know where the 320 comes from, but Im running 340 with a fairly conservative map.

10. KK3960

KK3960 Active Member

Ralph just get em in the vice and get the Black & Decker out! Ittl be reet!![:D][:D] To much info on an unknown variable is dangerous anyway mate[:D][:D]

11. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

Black N Decker?? wouldn get out of bed for anything less than a Makita!! [:D][:D]

Thanks for the info Jim / BlingScooby. Just to confirm, porting is soley [?] about removing any step at each joint?

re the insulation question. On an OEM header is the OEM heat shield the best insulator, or does rapping do a better job?

I have thought of way to assess the degree of mismatch. lightly grease the oposing faces, make a "gasket" from a clear material, some form of plastic or perspex, apply a ring of silicon to both sides, bolt up the joint, let the silicon cure and youve got a mould by which to assess the mismatch.

12. jim litten

jim litten New Member

If you
    e going to do it yourself, make sure that you make a gradual taper at least 1 1/2" long as a short taper is just as bad as a step. The heat sheilds are just that sheilds to protect everything around the header from excessive heat, exhaust wrap is for holding the heat into the header, the more heat you retain the better turbo response as the gas energy is then put into spinning the turbo and not heating up the atmosphere around the headers.

you don need to make anything to assess the mis-match, when you split them it stands out a mile. Youll need a tungsten carbide cutter and a "dremel" or die grinder to do it, a drill won spin quic enough and will also be to cumbersome, plus youll not be taking the same amount off around each joint, especially at the head/headers joint.

13. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

Cheers Jim

I reckon I can do this. Ill be off down the tungsten carbide cutter and die grider shop then.

What could possibly go wrong [:D][:D]!!...

14. dont do it ralph ive seen ya at work ;-)

15. K555UFO

K555UFO New Member

Im doing some (mainfolds) next week,the wifes away:)i will post picks up when i get done. I am using a drill rather than a drem. I ported my throttle bodies with a drill, although they were alloy.

16. jim litten

jim litten New Member

The metal the headers are cast from is quite tough, using an air powered die grinder and a HQ TCT cutter it takes me over an hour to do, and I know what Im doing.

17. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

Ive got a compressor which I think is rated at ~7cfm I think this will just about power a die grinder, which don seem too expensive, but what about the tct cutter? Any advice.

Ive got a proper solid vice, safety goggles, gloves and Im just dieing to make lots of noise to entertain the neighbours. As I said before.. what can possibly go wrong.... er Im er...

Jim YwillHM in about 2 mins .

18. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Replied, and sent a little extra.

19. lpg224kW

lpg224kW New Member

Very tidy[:D]

Can appreciate the labour involved a bit more now!!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> dont do it ralph ive seen ya at work ;-)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Gaz that wasn work it was RE-work. Damn plumber deserved shooting.[:(!] had to test and correct 1st fix before plaster walked of the job, but no pressure there <s>you</s> he was that slow!![:D][:D]

20. as ya say Ralph what can go wrong...ha....oh and you cant rush quality m8 it was just a shame you covered that smooth plaster with unibond lol :)