Grizedale Rally Report

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by DanC, Dec 12, 2008.

1. DanC

DanC New Member

I really like rallies with atmosphere with long flowing gravel, a picturesque location and an enthusiastic field of mainly clubman rally drivers the Grizedale Stages is the traditional end of season rally for me. This years event proved to be a fantastic day both in the quality of the bacon sandwiches and the often hilarious antics of the group I was in attendance with, Cumberland sausages anyone?

The rally was held during the recent cold snap in the UK the conditions would usually hamper my enthusiasm but with finally the correct gear I was able to just get along with enjoying the event.

[​IMG]

Snowfall early in the week still covered the surrounding hills with a thick blanket of fog lingering just below tree level for the majority of the day.

[​IMG]

This is me being arty, Gorilla’s in the mist?

[​IMG]

The majority of the field is made of group N cars this corner was cut up pretty bad by the afternoon with this GC8 running a little too close to the bank.

[​IMG]

Ironically the Hyundai Accent didn’t do well at WRC level with further development at National level the car has gone on to be competitive in drivers such as Mark Higgins and Steve Petch’s hands. Steve Simpson a Northwest local still uses his on Rally GB on occasion.

[​IMG]

This really illustrates the camber on the roads check out how low the bumper is to the ground!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

National rallying is still a stomping ground for the venerable Austin Metro 6R4 these cars were first campaigned roughly when I was born! but they are still capable of winning on gravel and tarmac events in the right hands. The deep rumble of the naturally aspirated V6 reverberating off the tree’s you could very well be back in the 80’s.

[​IMG]

Older Evo’s are still about but not as prevalent as the equivalent Impreza’s

[​IMG]

The Fiesta ST is now a staple of national rallying a great platform if your looking to be competitive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a special car although not a works car but a replica this Audi Quattro was pieced together using some works parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont see as many 6’s on the stages anymore they still look hard as rally cars.

[​IMG]

Mark Higgins was out in a very special car, an ex Carlos Sainz Subaru Impreza navigated by another legend Nicky Grist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wow,some great pics. that 6r4 :D :lol: :mrgreen:

3. Neil

Neil Active Member

Great pics again Dan, but I find the 'gorillas in the mist' one of the best... :shock: :lol:

4. AntsUK300

AntsUK300 New Member

Must agree with Neil here, Gorillas in the mist is the best picture! :D :D But then again all the other picture are excellent, far more handy with a camera than i am!

5. JET

JET New Member

:lol: :lol: Great pics Dan and your right it was a great day 8), the gorillas pic also demonstrates the severe camber, Martin on the left and Steve on the right :lol: :lol: