Good talk Rich! / resonatorectomy

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Triple X, Jul 12, 2004.

1. scoobbillydoo

scoobbillydoo Active Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">He is even charging me rental for borrowing a wheelbarrow off him<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
    u shud ov said iv got 2 [:)]

2. Trev

Trev Moderator

He only told me after Id got it.[V]

3. PMSL [:D] - Ill be getting a reputation [:p]

Rich / Andrew,
    I managed to get the resinator out in one piece last night.
    Ive put it all back together until I source some 3" ducting, but have a couple of questions you maybe able to help me with.
    1. If I "do away" with the resinator box, do I need to have any ducting / pipe coming from the airbox hole or is it just a case of meshing it so leaves etc can get in.
    2. Would there be any benifit in keeping the box and running some 3" ducting from the back of the triangle wedge directly into the box. i.e. Two 3" in feeds vs one output to filter ?

Sorry if the questions are a bit daft !
    Once I got the lump out of the wing all sorts of ideas were flowing.

Main benifit of last night though is the car is now 1/2 stone lighter, after removeing all the muck & stones from behind the plastic lining [:D]. Passenger side tonight, me thinks [:)]

4. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

Well done Chris!

Might have to come over so you can do mine too[;)]

Want to take this thread to Technical now?

5. Bring it over [:D]
    Took me 2 hours due to not wanting to cut it, but I should soon have that down to the JI target time, now I know what to undo [;)].
    Off to the stores in a mo - on the hunt for 3" ducting [:D].

Chris

P.s. Move if you wish, Im sure no one will mind.

6. Godzilla

Godzilla New Member

Chris,

Both those ideas seem viable. Ive gone for option one with the ducting straight up into the inner wing but theres no reason why you can retain the resonator and add more feeds to it. Might not be as good in terms of flow that way, but why not give it a try.

As you say, with the res box gone you save at least 0.5kg[:D]

Rich

7. Cheers Rich,
    Option 2 for now - might be a little diificult to measure any improvments but it gives me something to do of an evening [:D].
    Chris

8. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TunnelMeister</i>
    <br />
    Might have to come over so you can do mine too[;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Tis done ![:)]

I sourced some suitable ducting and after a couple of hours head scratching, tiny hole drilling and stupid Subaru plastic clip undoing, Tunnelmeister and myself sorted the P1s cold air feed.
    The ducting runs from the front triangular vent direct to the airbox, and is virtually invisable.
    We have no method of measuring improvement but intial reports are positive.

Care to expand on the benefits Tunnel ?

Chris

P.s. Kits will soon be available from CSC (10 % discount on showing your LADS membership card [:D] ) and fitting can be arranged [;)][8D]

9. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Chris, just to let you know, be very careful with having it ducted from right behind the orange wedge, when I ran my 57i with the duct like this, when it was raining and driving on the motorway, enough moisture got on to the filter element to effect the way the car ran, and in the end it killed the MAF, since going back to the airbox Ive cut it short so it hangs behind the indicator, with the way you are running you airbox now, you could fill it with moisture, and if its a deep enough puddle itll flood the the airbox and potentially shred the engine. My observations are not over a short period but over the winter months and leading up to the beginning of May, you will also be amazed at how much more crap blocks the filter element, I ended up having to vac the 57i every week!!!

10. Andy.McCord

Andy.McCord New Member

its a good point jim, how close is the ducting @ the 57i end, so basically youve sheltered the ducting a little further away from the front of the car?

11. Cheers Jim.
    Ill get hold of Tunnel and warn him.

12. TunnelMeister

Thanks for the call Chris.

Need to think about whats been said and let you know what I find. Be later though, been a long day, many miles and my heads full!

btw, done 500+ miles since we did the mod, initial feel is a more snappy response low down and the coolant temp bottoms out a couple of degrees lower before settling back to norm. No downside so far.

13. jim litten

jim litten New Member

You only have to look at what has happened in the last two WRC events what water ingress can do, Subaru WRCs have an air intake at bumper level and even going through the water splashes slower than everyone else still suffered water ingress.

Steve cooler air intake shouldn affect coolant temps.

14. TunnelMeister

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jim litten</i>
    <br />You only have to look at what has happened in the last two WRC events what water ingress can do, Subaru WRCs have an air intake at bumper level and even going through the water splashes slower than everyone else still suffered water ingress.

Steve cooler air intake shouldn affect coolant temps.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

yeah, coolant thing is prob another issue.

Trying to figure a way of doing a static test to simulate water spray without doing a trip to Argentina?

15. jim litten

jim litten New Member

Steve, a static water spray test won prove anything, unless your revving the bollox off it, as on tick over the airflow into the airbox will be minimal, plus if you do get any into the inlet tract, itll either splutter or worst case scenario, bent rods as you can compress water!

16. TunnelMeister

SOooo, To Test: remove airbox, leave new ducting in place with filter coffee paper over exit, fit induction kit and out for a run in the rain charging thru puddles; check filter paper.....

A little research on after market ram air kits seems to suggest a 10 - 12" vertical drop in the ducting sorts all but the worst of conditions. This seems typical of the under engine scoop systems. Hmmm... prob excludes blue wrc cars though...

17. jim litten

jim litten New Member

One other thing you have to bear in mind using the duct fed from the orange wedge, at speed (if using the airbox) the airbox will become pressurised and could lean out the fuelling due to the increased flow of air, when taking the air from a cool postion such as behind the headlight as standard, or from behind the indicator, the air being fed into the airbox will be drawn in, not force fed.

18. TunnelMeister

Having read up on the comparisons between airbox with cold air duct and induction kit with cone filter, Im beginning to think induction with cold air duct is best option. The arguments suggest that the warmer air fed by an induction kit are outweighed by the improved flow of the cone and the intercoolers ability to cope with the relatively small increase in charge temp. (this does not include such things as det issues etc)

Hhmm... I suppose I already had this when the Blitz was on and fed by the miniscoop.

No probs with moisture yet, went for a blast in the rain yesterday.

Chris, don cut that resonator up yet!

19. LOL - Still sat on the shelf.
    DP lagging is next on the aganda, so its safe for a few weeks [;)].

20. TunnelMeister

Thanks Chris, the argument for cold air fed induction kit is interesting, think Ill swap back to the Blitz and see if it feels similar to the current setup.