FUEL

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Gary, Oct 2, 2005.

1. fireman sam

fireman sam New Member

[:I] only asking [:I]

Just in case[;)]

2. Triple X

Triple X Active Member

Thats where a knock link and an AFR (air/fuel ratio) gauge can come into play for a visual indication. If your car is running dangerously lean your knock link will be flashing away as the car dets, basically the leaner the mixture the hotter your cylinder/piston become which can lead to a premature and uncontrolled burn of the mixture.
    An AFR gauge takes a voltage from the lambda sensor and gives a display of the mixture, so when you floor it the mixture should richen giving a higher voltage from the lambda sensor to the display on the gauge.

Both very useful (vital) on these types of car!

If your MAF is failing what generally happens is that the sensor can get dirty and sense that less air is entering the system than what actually is and therefor it doesn add the correct amount of fuel, leading to a lean mixture and a whole load of trouble for your engine!

3. What he said[:D]

Id worry / get things checked at anything over 30 MPG.

4. Gary

Gary Active Member

No worries on fuel for a couple of days

Hire company just dropped off a Golf TDi (think I misheard,thought it was going to be a GTi[:eek:)])

Well Impressed, reasonably quick with loads of torque

May have to think about getting a GT TDi instead of the Impreza [:0]

5. zero260

zero260 New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary</i>
    <br />No worries on fuel for a couple of days

Hire company just dropped off a Golf TDi (think I misheard,thought it was going to be a GTi[:eek:)])

Well Impressed, reasonably quick with loads of torque

May have to think about getting a GT TDi instead of the Impreza [:0]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
    You will still drive like an old woman[:D]lol

6. fireman sam

fireman sam New Member

Golf TDI instead of the Impreza[:0]..........youve still got whiplash Gaz[;)]

7. Gary

Gary Active Member

LOL at Firemansam [8D]

Its a really boring car [:(]

Even the fuel gauge doesn move [^]

8. fireman sam

fireman sam New Member

Even the fuel gauge doesn move [^]
    [/quote]

Must be broken then[V] thats German engineering for you[;)]

9. ScoobyDan

ScoobyDan New Member

Nothing wrong with my fuel gauge[:D]
    It moves very quickly from full to empty[V]

10. Gary

Gary Active Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ScoobyDan</i>
    <br />Nothing wrong with my fuel gauge[:D]
    It moves very quickly from full to empty[V]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thats Subaru engineering for you [:0]