Front Strut Brace help

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by andyscoob, Mar 30, 2016.

1. andyscoob

andyscoob Active Member

Evening all,

Has anyone else ever had any trouble fitting an aluminium front strut brace to a early classic? I bought one from scoobyworld. When fitted it is catching the bonnet when I go to close it. I have tried resetting it 3 times to see if it was out of position but it does not make any difference. It is only catching on the driver side. I am toying with the idea of filing it down on the top where its catching unless anyone has any other helpful suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

2. mikey

mikey Member

hi,i had exactly the same problem with my 94 wrx,it was the straight sti type that i tried to fit and it forced the bonnet up as i tried to close it,do you have a pic and i will tell you if it was the same one

3. andyscoob

andyscoob Active Member

Hi there,

Glad to see I am not on my own here (I will take a pic when I get chance). I won a front and rear strut brace from a seller on ebay for £60.00. They were advertised as new but I firmly believe that they were seconds as they had a few little marks on them.

Anyway I have got the front one fitted now, I have had to file the bracket down on both sides a bit to get the bonnet to close without catching them. Also the rear strut brace the holes to bolt the brace to the strut tops were out of line as well so I had to open the holes up a bit more with a drill until the bolts went through ok. Look good now fitted, just ordered some STI pink touch up paint to paint where I had to file the bracket down.