Downpipe to mid pipe question (04 WRX)

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by SteT2000, May 13, 2012.

1. SteT2000

SteT2000 Member

Hi all :)

When trying to take my midpipe off earlier with help from pete_h (cheers) we couldn't take it off the downpipe.... We got one of the bolts out with a bit of a struggle and lots of penetrating oil :)
    But the other bolt was weird, it looked like it just had one nut on the bolt, we first thought that maybe the bolt had snapped taking the other nut with it? So we tried undoing the one nut that was on there....no joy :( Tried banging the bolt through with an hammer...no joy :( So we then tried cutting it off with a Dremel...no joy :(
    But while doing this we noticed the nut we was trying to cut off is actually welded to a guard that covers the downpipe flange :shock:

So my question is how the hell does this come off? Never seen anything like it before!

Thanks
    Ste

2. Sounds like the downpipe support bolt.

There's only four bolts & nuts to remove a centre section. The front two are passed through large springs with the back two joined to the back box.

Can you post up any pics ?

3. SteT2000

SteT2000 Member

We took the two spring bolts out holding the mid pipe to the centre pipe, and at the other end of the midpipe we managed to get one bolt out holding it to the down pipe, it's the other bolt we was having trouble with :?

I will post a couple of pics up later today :)

Ste

4. SteT2000

SteT2000 Member

right so here a few pics of the weird bolt :)

This bolt is welded to the metal thing that covers the flange for the downpipe
    [​IMG]

And the other side looks like this

[​IMG]

Heres a couple that I got off the internet

This one shows the pipe im trying to take off , the midpipe (second decat)
    [​IMG]

And this one shows the bolt im trying to take off (this is at the downpipe side)
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the first couple of pics, there wasnt a lot of room underneath the car :?

Ste

5. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

Looks like the bolt has been tapped into the midsection and welded on the other side to me, Probably gonna need a bit of oxy acetylene to heat it up and break the weld off(or try and cut it off), Possibly worth trying to put 2 nuts on the longest part of the thread and really tighten them up, Then try and turn the 1st nut you put on(closest to the flange) to undo and see if the threaded bar will come loose?

6. SteT2000

SteT2000 Member

Cheers mate :wink:

Will give the two nut method a try, if that fails will have to Admit defeat and give Brian a ring :lol:

Ste

7. ProdriveWagon

ProdriveWagon 3rd Scoob = an ej20 engined Hatch

Use a file to file most of weld off, this will weaken the weld and help make it easier to split off using the 2 nuts method :wink:

8. Neil

Neil Active Member

Can't be certain, but I'm sure that should be just a nut..?

Has it not just been rounded off previous..?

Get a grinder on the job, but watch yer eyes.. :shock:

9. SteT2000

SteT2000 Member

Yeah it was very corroded and looked rounded to start off with, but we managed to get a spanner on it and in the end we rounded it too much :lol:

But it's definitely been welded to the guard thing.

We started tryin to cut it off with a dremel, no access to a grinder and to be honest there was not a lot of room under the car even if we did have one.

Just say we eventually cut the nut off, how would we get the threaded bar out? The 2 nut method?

Ste

10. 2 Nut method followed by a stud extractor. If neither of those work, cut it flush & drill it out using ever increasing drill diameters.

11. SteT2000

SteT2000 Member

Thanks for all the tips :wink:

But I decided to take it to cams instead :lol:

Job done now, cheers brian :D

12. CAMS

CAMS LADS Sponsor

:wink:

13. ProdriveWagon

ProdriveWagon 3rd Scoob = an ej20 engined Hatch

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    That's what I do anyway, take it to someone as my easy 5minute jobs turn into nightmares (Guaranteed to drop something into an unaccessible place) :roll: