dont be scared to use a buffer, you wont buff through!!!

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by cuprajake, Dec 7, 2011.

1. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

The da ones oscillate so they don't create the friction nor temps the rotary can, side effect is a less powerful cut meaning it takes longer to remove scratches.

2. Neil

Neil Active Member

The fact that Tony said..

Made me think that he had not had it tested, but guessed it...

3. ScoobyDan

ScoobyDan New Member

Meguiars have a new microfibre pad system for the d/a . I haven't tried it yet but it is supposed to correct almost as quick as a rotary but without the same risk of striking through .
    Surely this would be a safer option for inexperienced users ?

4. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

if it corrects the same as a rotary it has to cut the same, so the pads must have more cut, meguirs are owned by 3m too ....

5. Tony Burns

Tony Burns New Member

Someone else tested it though :shock:
    http://www.type-ra.co.uk/vB/showthread.php?t=9818

80-100 microns, down to 70 microns in places (brand new spec c)

Tony :)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have tested the new system and it is very Good, I would recommend the DA over the rotary for inexperienced Users, that's why Meguiar's retail one.

Michael

7. Tony Burns

Tony Burns New Member

Michael, how much do the Meguiars DA ones cost from you? 8)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can do the machine for £150 this is the G220 V2 Let me know because i am putting an order in tomorrow anyway.

Michael

9. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

see thats my bugbear with the da systems there 3times the price of a rotary,

10. Tony Burns

Tony Burns New Member

Put me down for one Michael 8)

Tks :D

11. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

i would say tony with the readigs on your car be very carful if your going on with a harsh compund,

what colour is your car? im wondering if its a solid they have actually done it in a 2k solid apossed to a clear over base

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Make your mind up you said get your buffers out you Won't go through. :roll:

Michael

13. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

You got a sale out of it so what you worried about, I'm simply asking the question of how a paint company can get away with litterally putting no paint on a car. And in his situation should be carful. Still think 80 microns sounds a little too low...although I still standby the fact he could do it with a machine costing a fraction of the price.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My point has always been you Can't machine polish with a rotary machine polisher if you Don't know what thickness of paint you have in the first Place, hence why i use a paint thickness gauge and not Zen as you do.

A DA is a safe machine to use as you have agreed.

If Tony does buy a Dual Action (da) machine polisher I'll measure his paint as i will anybody that asks me too, because I can't put back what's missing where as you Can, which leads back to my original point. :wink:

Why don't you encourage some Wet Sanding while You're at that will generate even more business?

Michael

15. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

I would only wet sand aftermarket paint ie full respray.

But it leads me back to the conundrum if you measured the paint on a standard car, how much clear is on there before you buff through or compromise the finish? Does ur depth gauge give u a reading of howmuch is in each layer? Ie primer, base and then clear. If it does then I holdy hands up. But if it just tells you that there are 100 microns total I'm afraid your doing exactly the same thing I am.

16. markscooby

markscooby Active Member

this is makin my head hurt :roll:

17. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

I know it's quite technical I'm going to do some more pics tomorrow as I'm borrowing a depth gauge.

18. Neil

Neil Active Member

Not that hard to do Mark ;) :lol:

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Only Because he's changed his mind and You can't machine all paint's as he's suggested you do :wink:

Michael

20. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

so your paint gauge can tell the difference then lol.

you can machine all paints, thats a fact.. i can, i have and will contiune too.

as will micheal and all other people who tell you cant, and that the rotary is a super bad tool to use,

a rotary with a soft pad with a ultra fine polish will cut the same as a da with a soft pad and ultra fine polish,

we use da sanders at work, and there used to prep paint, its just a case of a rougher grit, same principal tough.