de cat advice please

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by cross, Jan 16, 2009.

1. cross

cross Member

hiya, ive spotted a de cat down pipe on fleabay, but its not the open mouthed one , its got one large bore & one smaller bore and there is a bridge between them, the thing is wrapped so i cant see it clearly, however it looks like the smaller bore has an external pipe that feeds back into larger bore further down the pipe. the seller says its a mongoose pipe. does anyone know if they are anygood on a standard motor & also becouse the mouth is somewat restricted, would i still need a remap? thanks in advance
    :wink: :wink: :wink:

2. scoobaru mad

scoobaru mad Active Member

i 'think', an dont quote me on this, i think there called a twin dump pipe. ive also been told they can give a decent power increase, up to 25bhp, but, some, not all are prone to boost creep. an yes, as with any mod, even down to a panel filter, apparantly you will need a remap mate :wink:

one of the techno bods will bve along soon to clear it up bud! 8)

3. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

my downpipe is like that, itll feel better if u get it mapped!

4. vanny magnet

vanny magnet Member

Im the same, cant decide???

Car has a full HKS exhaust system and green induction kit, have a decat pipe sitting here ready to go on!!

Its meant to provide an extra 20bhp or so ive heard de-catting the car, just dont want it to sound too loud though??

What a dilema, could trial it I suppose :wink:

vanny

5. scoobaru mad

youd be suprised mate. mine's got a full 3'' japsport system, with a bell mouth downpipe, ''debaffled'' an its only really loud when you open the taps a little. problem is, i want mine louder. i have a brand new ''pipeworx'' back box in the shed. but it would make the car sound like a dragster. got to get to baffalers put in before it goes on.

id say put it on. it doesnt go that much louder, an the power gains are brilliant! 8)

you live in southport i see, am only in ormskirk, am sure av seen you about. 8)

6. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

chris we will have to meet up in southport with vanny and sccobyman and scalesy and anybody round that neck of the woods one weekend for a good laugh and a giggle.

Back to the post

I need a centre de-cat to go with my decat downpipe and want to get it before the rolling road in march so i can see what she is pulling

7. vanny magnet

vanny magnet Member

Yeah going to give it a trial on, its a really good quality decat pipe too :wink:

Every car ive had has been de-catted, the performance level certainly changes for the better :D

Sounds great already with the cat on, so didnt want it to sound too loud, but its worth a trial :wink:

Yeah in Southport mate, been through Ormskirk a few times since getting the car. Unless you have seen me at the meet I organise first Wednesday in the month at Dobbies garden centre, Southport, maybe?

vanny

8. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

chris we will have to turn up to that in convoy the three of us me you and scalesy and see some heads turn am up for that

9. Neil

Neil Active Member

You should be OK Mark, but it would maybe worthwhile getting the AFR's checked once fitted to see if all is OK.

10. stevedjwright

stevedjwright New Member

My 99 classic is fully decated with a bel mouth type top and full 2.5 system. Nealry straight through just using a Magnex rear box. Cars also got a green panel filter, boost incrreased to just a shade under 1.1 bar and pulls like a train. Not had any problems with the engine managment light or anything, without a doubt the best thing i ever did to my car! Havent had it mapped either so should be fine.

11. cross

cross Member

AFRs neil?????? :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: . how ya doin pal

12. scoobaru mad

am up for the above meet Mark, defo!

Steve wright. you say your boost is just under a smidge of 1.1bar, do you have any over boost issue's? few weeks ago i had the actuator disconnected an the waste gate jammed FULLY OPEN!! an the boost STILL hit a bar! think its coming back again :cry: as am hitting the fuel cut again! new turbo me thinks. just as the RR approaches :roll: :lol:

13. scalesy

scalesy New Member

I do love silver scoobys nice car m8. Im up for the meet boyz :wink: have full decat not to loud just right 8)

14. wigan mart

wigan mart New Member

i would recomend a remap with any de-cat, im running an open mouth full de-cat and it transformed the car when i did it, but if u want proper gains then have a remap aswell

Andrew c has just done mine and im safely running 1.4 bar and i know afr's etc are spot on. the car is a beast now to what it was :D

15. stevedjwright

stevedjwright New Member

Cars never ever missed a beat. Pulls like a train even on Shel V power running Octane booster. Not had it out on track with it done yet but given it some pain for a considerable length of time to warrant it being ok. Will pull up to limiter(not that i drive it like that just wanted to check for boost cut) no problems gives 2 crisp bangs on limiter now. Mine is resonably standard so thats probably why im not having any overboost issues. Steve

16. scoobaru mad

removed original post through pi55 take worrys :lol: :lol:

TD04 is going back on, till i find a minter than mint Fully working, fingers crossed brandish spanker TD05.

i cant tell you how disheartening it is to own a car like a scoob. an not being able to drive it like one! :cry:

One will not give in! :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

wouldnt have anythin to do with havin a blast in mine the other nite would it mate

18. scoobaru mad

LOL cud be! :lol: :lol:

Think am going to get, Mr speedflash to work his magic, an take off the TD05 when the front mount goes on, an put the TD04 on as an experiment, to see if it Still overboosts? then av a proper good look at the TD05.

19. vanny magnet

vanny magnet Member

The garage that was going to fit it, told me it would effect the engine management due to all the sensors on the cat, and if got pulled would get done for high emissions?

Its a 96 WRX import, sound right?

vanny

20. cross

cross Member

your car would fail an mot, with a full de-cat becouse of high emissions- true.
    however i wouldnt think many coppers would bother checking your car to see if the emissions where high, dont think ive heard of anyone having any issues with engine management light. :wink: :wink: