" cost effective upgrades "

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Finchy, Mar 3, 2006.

1. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KEV C</i>
    <br />Its quite obvious that we
    e all busy today[:D][:D][:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

for once [:D]

Im waiting for a phone call - once it comes - no logging on until tomorrow [:(][V]

2. KK3960

KK3960 Active Member

All day meeting in London tomorrow, im taking my owed time in Lieue now shall we say!

3. What about the rest of the week ?[:D]

4. AccyJase

AccyJase New Member

Hi, seen as you guys seem to be online i thought you might be able to help im reading all your threads and keep coming across stuff like FMIC , MAF , Headers and this tech jargon, is there anywhere i can read up to find out what all this means sounds like a bunch of wierd sex toys to me !

5. FMIC = Front Mounted Intercooler
    MAF = Mass Air Flow Sensor
    Headers = Exhaust pipes (4 off) from the engine ports to the uppipe.
    Uppipe - big pipe from Headers to Turbo.
    DP = Downpipe - Pipe from back of the Turbo to centre section of the exhaust.

Hope this helps

6. Phones ringing - do I answer ?
    Type 2 U all tomorrow [:D]

7. AccyJase

AccyJase New Member

and the mist clears Thankyou [:)]

8. KK3960

KK3960 Active Member

No wonder our aircraft industry is in the state its in !![:D][:D]

9. Exactly - boyant & making millions - have you seen the recent share price ? [;)]

10. [:D]- Ruddy phones ringing again - don they know Im on my 4 hour lunch break ?

11. jonboy

jonboy New Member

I bet your still on that lunch break lol

12. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Mr Tony ( sell it get an STI) Burns odviously has no furher comment to make.

13. Jon - lunch from 9 till 5 with a 1/2 hour in the middle for work [;)]

Finchey,
    Maybe he actually works for a living [:D]

14. mcscoobydoo

mcscoobydoo New Member

Mr towers, you keep sayin im not busy [:D]
    Just got home from a hard day attending / working - you mentioned a few times about not posting after phone call.
    Me thinks your addicted [}:)]
    Kris - hope to get a gander at the car if your at the next meet or maybe you might try the treasure hunt even though you are a straight line man as you put it ! give that gearbox a test [}:)]

15. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mcscoobydoo</i>
    <br />Mr towers, you keep sayin im not busy [:D]
    Just got home from a hard day attending <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Im not saying anything - <b>I know </b>your never busy[;)][:D]

As for attending - somehow you get away without bothering with that as well [:p]

JFI - How many days have you attended in the past 4 weeks ?

16. Swordmaster

Swordmaster New Member

I have to say this is getting to the level of "discussion" that I would expect on http://www.imprezasport.net.

Anyway I just thought I would put my opinion forward (not wishing to dis you Turbo boys) but In my humble opinion there are only a few mods that could be described as pointless (though some with non turbo imprezas would disagree).
    1) Putting a turbo bonnet on a N/A Impreza - Well apart from being daft (how many times have I heard - "its a turbo replica, but with cheaper insurance"). Plus, lets face it there is a big hole which lets the water in! This goes along with those people (some who own turbos) who put badges from higher spec models on their cars. I have seen MY95 wagon GLs with STI badges on them!

2) Putting the engine etc from a turbo into a N/A impreza. Yep its been done. I do however not include as daft those American boys who have 2.5RS Imprezas with turbo kits, anyone in the know will tell you that the 2.5RS never came with a turbo (but yes it was a N/A Impreza with ... you guessed it ... a turbo bonnet!)

3) This has to be my personal favorite, the question about fitting a FMIC to a N/A Impreza. Nope I kid you not. Read it here http://www.imprezasport.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9009

Yes there might be a good reason to start off with the highest spec impreza going, but does it not boil down to what your trying to achieve. We don all want massive power.

I have been told by the "experts" that what Im doing is daft, but I do tend to get people asking to see my car quite alot...

regards

the swordmaster

17. Tony Burns

Tony Burns New Member

Finchy,

No im still around [;)] if you read the email i sent you would see why i cant post [:(]

Chris,

Yup some of us have to work for a living, occasionally [;)]

Kris,

What are the differences between the STi and WRX, well i did state JDM STi, i wont be able to get everything in but here goes [;)]

Hyperrheuetic pistons (supposedly twice as strong as the forged items).
    Sodium filled valves.
    Nitrated and grooved uprated crank for increased strength and oil distribution.
    Semi closed deck block with better water cooling built in.
    Equal length headers.
    Different manifold.
    Bigger ported heads for better gas flow.
    More aggressive cams.
    AVCS (active valve control system).
    Engine oil cooler (certain models only [;)])

Then we have.....
    Bigger intercooler.
    Bigger scoop with splitter and rubber seal for better air distribution.
    Intercooler water spray (manual and auto)
    6 speed gearbox (some with quickshift), heavier, stronger casing and internals.
    Bigger uprated clutch.
    Transmission oil cooler.
    A-DCCD
    Plated 180 diff with overheat warning light (somewhat stronger than normal [;)])
    Thicker anti roll bars
    Different (lighter stronger?) driveshafts?
    Bigger 330mm brembo 4 pot front brakes with 305mm rear 2pots (good for over 400bhp stopping power [;)])
    Free flowing exhaust system.
    Twin scroll turbo (either the VF36 roller bearing low friction or the VF37 sleeve bearing turbo)
    Stiffer shell.
    Solid rear bulkhead.
    Different track and geometry (Spec C and newer models)
    Quick rack steering.
    Front LSD.

Those are just the differences i can think of off the top of me head [;)]
    Also Kris, the gearbox and clutch will die because of the 300+lbs of torque, the gearbox design is well over 20 years old, it wasnt designed to take such power, hence the reason they upgraded the casing in 97 (may need a hand on that if im a year or 2 out) but even then they still chew teeth if you put too much torque though them.
    There was a guy on scoobynet only a few months back, lowish mile car, 290lbs of torque and one chewed up gearbox, you have to think of torque as a guy with a rock and a crowbar, he tries for ages to move it, then one day it goes suddenly, thats what it does, just rips the teeth off then [:(]
    Torque is basically your 347lbs 1 foot off the flywheel as thats what its capable of lifting, and that goes through your gearbox, scary eh! cos it will give you problems, though it could be 10k down the line, a 1k+ rebuild or a 2k+ for a 6 speed and rear diff (oh plus the extra weight [;)]) are on the books.
    If you want some decent advice of where to go with high powered wrxs, speak to Rich Wild (Godzilla) or just look at Dales MY01 STi Spec C, he has spent money on it but not as much as you think, just under 400bhp on the standard turbo (ported), lots of samco hoses, Brembo Calipers (and he track days his car!!!) and 415lbs of torque, plus its lighter than a WRX [;)]
    Like I say, sell the wagon, buy a 1k ford mondeo estate (£995 P reg TD with 106k in the autotrader [;)])
    buy a JDM STi, 1400 quid later.... 360+bhp, 380+lbs of torque [:D]

Tony[:D]

18. Neil

Neil Active Member

Well that clears that up then...[;)][:D]

19. Swordmaster

Swordmaster New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tony Burns</i>
    <br />
    Hyperrheuetic pistons (supposedly twice as strong as the forged items).
    Nitrated

[?]

20. Swordmaster

Swordmaster New Member

<b>Hypereutectic pistons</b>
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</i>
    <br />http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston

Hypereutectic pistons are cast pistons made from aluminum with over 16% silicon content for strength and durability. The term hypereutectic comes from eutectic.

Special melting processes are necessary to ‘supersaturate’ the aluminum with additional silicon content. Special molds, casting and cooling techniques are required to obtain finely and uniformly dispersed silicon particles throughout the material.

These newer pistons are very hard, thus brittle. They have proven to be un-forgiving with engine knocking. For this reason they are great in naturally-aspirated engines, but should be used with caution for
    itrous, super- or turbochargers. Generally speaking, forged pistons are a better choice for high boost.

Hypereutectic pistons are used in many original equipment engines. They are favored because of reduced scuffing, improved power, fuel economy and emissions. The reduced thermal expansion rate allows the piston to be run with reduced clearance.
    <b>Nitrated</b>
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally by Medicine for you</i>
    <br />http://ni-info.medicine-for-you.com/404,07673839241234567890103077791411/nitrated.htm

Combined, or impregnated, with nitric acid, or some of its compounds.

the swordmaster