" cost effective upgrades "

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Finchy, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Hi Fellas first post on the sight.After years of pouring good money after bad with cossies i have arrived at planet scooby.Only had the car 2 weeks so sorry if i sound like a dumbass. I have 2005 wrx wagon with PPP fitted i have just fitted some equal length headers tsl group A downpipe, centre decat and full 2 and 3 quarter inch system. Problem is where to go next, been told that Sti intercooler VF34 turbo and ecotek is the way forward for reliable real world power and descent value. Would i need walbro pump or do i have one fitted with PPP. Would i need bigger injectors if so which size and colour ? As the part of PPP the ECU is already liscensed for subsiquent Remapping, is this true ? Would i need uprated fuel reg ?

Cheers Finch

2. Welcome to LADS [:)]

3. steve@cotcomp

steve@cotcomp LADS Sponsor & Techno Bod

Hi Finch,
    Welcome to LADS.

My you have been busy in two weeks[:D][;)].

Ive just got a STi8 with PPP and so I have just been on the phone about the PPP ecus with Mervin at Ecutek. Looks like I hadn had the whole story before so sorry if I have mislead anyone[:eek:)].

1. Prodrive have been using Ecutek software on the PPP from 2003.
    2. It has a Prodrive license[:(] in it NOT a Ecutek license, so know one other than Prodrive can access it, this is how they keep it under warranty as know one else can alter it.
    3. You can re-flash the ecu with a new Ecutek license to map it but its full price[xx(]. We are doing them for £550 plus vat at the moment.

IMHO the only mod left you should do without a re-map is the fuel pump, that’s if the car is driving ok now.
    If you do the pink injectors, vf34 or the STi intercooler you should get a re-map ASAP.

Steve.

4. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Cheers Steve,

Do you know if the fuel pump is uprated on the 2005 WRX PPP ? Even at the moment im paranoid that itll be running lean at the top end due to the headers decat etc so im running it on optimax + octane boost to be safe and not giving it the full beans. Def planning on sourcing parts first and instaling them same time as the mapping session.

Liam

5. jonboy

jonboy New Member

Welcome to lads finchy[:)]

6. ELV1S

ELV1S Administrator

Hi Liam, welcome to the LADS site mate [:D]

7. finley44

finley44 Active Member

currently selling an uprated walboro fuel pump , its the full kit, brand new never used, model gss 341, its rated at 255l/hr, yours for £75.00

8. steve@cotcomp

steve@cotcomp LADS Sponsor & Techno Bod

As far as I am aware the PPP does not include a fuel pump on a WRX. Not 100% sure, can someone else confirm[?]

9. KK3960

KK3960 Active Member

Im assuming the 2005 is the blob eye like mine and not the Latest looking one youre talking about? If this is the one you mean then the WRX PPP pack was an uprated fuel pump, silicon intercooler "Y" hose and ECU upgrade which claimed 265HP. The STI was just backbox and ECU upgrade for a claimed 305HP! I know because i nearly purchased it! 366 horses later im so glad that i didnt!![:D][:D]

10. paul 15

paul 15 New Member

Not true mate. The STI PPP has uprated cat, fuel pump, decat centre and ECU upgrade .

11. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Yes its the 2 litre 2005 wrx ( blobeye ) that i have what sort of set up are you running to get 366 brake ?

Cheers Liam

12. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Yes its the 2 litre 2005 wrx ( blobeye ) that i have. What sort of set up are you running to get 366 brake ?

Cheers Liam

13. edmy716

edmy716 Member

i have a sti 8 with ppp, im sure u will agree the most cost effective upgrade for me was gt spec headers and up pipe, green panel filter and a centre decat and remap by richard bulmer made me 357bhp/361lbft, no big turbo, no big filter and no front mount.
    ant

14. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Thats pretty much what i am aiming for edmy i have the equal length headers full de-cat and 2 3 quarter inch system and prodrive pump( rebadged walbro ). Just bought some pink injectors off the fleabay for 130 quid just trying to find sti intercooler and vf34 at sensible money before i get the car mapped. So should be pushing similar to yours. Couldn agree more the smaller the turbo the better on a road car !!

Finch

15. Tony Burns

Tony Burns New Member

Hiya Finchy,

Right, why did you buy a wrx in the first place?
    It cant be because no one would insure you on an STi? because the ammount your insurance co will hammer you for for the upgraded turbo, intercooler, brakes (cos trust me your going to need some better stopping power if you want over 300bhp), gearbox (as the wrx one will fall apart with 366bhp and 300+lbs of torque) clutch (to be able to take the torque from the engine) your basically fighting a loosing battle, plus the wrxs engine is no where near as good as the STis.
    As for the turbo.... just ask Gerry about small turbos [;)] i can promise you this, he aint going to be saying that small is good after driving my STi [;)]
    If you want to mod, bin all the ideas you have right now, flog your wrx, go and buy a JDM Spec STi and have it remapped, cos otherwise your throwing money down the drain.

Tony

16. scoobyste

scoobyste Member

17. gerry

gerry Active Member

he is right mate!!!

18. Finchy

Finchy New Member

I understand entirely what your saying guys and i know that the sti is a far better car to start modding from but the fact of the matter is that i must have a wagon for work purposes. So as they say its horses for courses and my car suits my needs very nicely,
    Regarding my prospective turbo choice IHI vF34 if my memmory serves me correctly is a reletively "small" roller bearing version of the IHI VF30 which is standard fitment on most late Sti apart from the very latest JDM twin scroll stuff. Good for about 370 ish bhp max. You odviously feel this is not a wise choice which would be your most " cost effective " turbo choice as i have odviously been given some wrong advice somewhere along the line and to hear which "big" turbo you have fitted to your STI.
    The location of any 05/06 STI wagons with low mileage curruntly for sale in th u.k would also be greatly appreciated.

Liam

19. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

VF34 is a good upgrade for the WRX and will make 350ish bhp with the right supporting mods without losing too much drivability, how much torque it makes is pretty much down to how much boost you run midrange and this can be kept down to ease the load on your gearbox and clutch.

If you drive with a reasonable amount of mechanical sympathy your gearbox shouldn give you any problems although the clutch may need uprating.

Andrew...

20. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Thanks Andrew at last somebody with something more constructive to say then " Sell it buy an STI !!! " My cars done less then 7000 miles so im pretty sure the gearbox cope o.k and if i have to upgrade the clutch at some point so be it.

Liam