Clutch???

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by AntsUK300, Feb 18, 2008.

1. AntsUK300

AntsUK300 New Member

Hey LADS..... I've just had some work carried out on my car. I've taken it to the one & only Scoobyteknix and had a VF34 turbo, STi Pink Injectors, Walbro fuel pump, FMIC and new headers and then had the car remapped by Andy Carr.
    Now i knew that with only having a standard clutch fitted it would only be a matter of time before it gave up the ghost.
    I went on a rolling road yesterday and when they were running the car all you could smell was the clutch! :roll: :? :roll:
    I've been getting mixed reviews on clutches and seem to keep getting pointed towards either a "Helix" or an "Exedy" clutch.
    Which of these is better :?:
    I dont actually know anyone that has had a Helix clutch so i was wondering if anyone had any idea on which one is better
    and more suited for the job of fast road and the occasional track day :?:
    I've also been told that while the car is stripped to look at getting an aluminium fly wheel as its half the weight of the original
    and helps the car go through the revs much smoother :?:

2. Shmerman

Shmerman Active Member

I got my uprated exedy clutch from david at APi.
    It is rated for upto 400bhp/lbft

I also got the lightened flywheel. He does these on an exchange basis as it is a standard flywheel but machined down. This means that you get the lightened flywheel and when you send your flywheel to them they refund the difference.

Might be worth wile keeping a close eye on this thread http://bbs.scoobynet.com/group-buys...n-another-group-buy-exedy-uprated-clutch.html
    Mike

3. Mr.H

Mr.H New Member

Hiya mate, I knew it... :lol:

Now it all starts.. Welcome to modified 'heaven'

4. K555UFO

K555UFO New Member

I have the Exedy uprated one from API along with one of there lightweight flywheels. It's been in for 2 years now and been fault free. My car runs approx 320/300. I find it lighter to use than the oe one that failed and is judder free. I would not waste your cash on an alloy flywheel, just get one lightened instead.

5. AntsUK300

AntsUK300 New Member

Tell me about it Wayne! Isnt cheap either eh? :cry: :cry: :cry: One thing it is though is worth it when you get back into the driving seat and it pins you back as your going through the gears! :lol: :D :lol:
    Thanks for the information guys..... Deffinatly another trip to sunny Fleetwood for me i reckon! :lol: :lol:

6. AntsUK300

AntsUK300 New Member

Sorted! Spoke to Andy and the car is going in on Thursday! Be ready for the weekend for the Gilpin Bridge run! :D :D :D

7. Tangochile

Tangochile New Member

How much for the uprated clutch guys :?: I think mine may be on it's way out soon. Not squealing or slipping, but only engages right at the top of the pedal travel and I have noticed a difference.
    Can the original be adjusted in any way?

Cheers :D

8. Mr.H

Mr.H New Member

A two step guide for a slip free clutch...

Step. 1: Try setting off like you're NOT in a race!! :lol:
    Step 2: Standard clutches for standard engines.. etc. 8)

9. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

As Wayne says if the car is std then a std clutch is fine, depending on level of mechanical sympathy the std clutch is good for 300-320lbft.

Clutch can be bled but not altered as such, how many miles has it done?

Andrew...

10. Tangochile

Tangochile New Member

The car has done 45000 miles and has the full PPP pack. I am really gentle with the clutch and no 'spirited' standing starts (except for Buttertubs, Gilpin Bridge etc :wink: )

I have tried setting off in 2nd to see if it squeals, and it pulls off fine. Just noticed the difference in the biting point really. Hope it holds a while longer :?

11. AntsUK300

AntsUK300 New Member

Picked my car up last night from Scoobyteknix after having an Exedy fast road clutch fitted and its brilliant! Not too sure where a majority of the bad press came from about the Exedy clutches! I wouldnt recomend anything else to be honest with you now ive had one fitted! Really really pleased with it! :) :) :) :) :)