classic runs lumpy when warm

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by johnny25, Jul 10, 2016.

1. johnny25

johnny25 Member

hi my turbo 2000 runs abit lumpy when warm, from cold it's fine, the idle is ok it doesn't bounce or owt like that it's when I set off it like hesitates up to 2k rpm then pulls like a train, I have unplugged the maf and the check light comes on and runs like a bag of shite if you plug it back in the car stalls, so I think the maf is ok, looking at my 02 sensor the plug is full of oil I think it's dripping from the intercooler so will look into this further also one of the terminals on the coil pack was discoloured and goon green so I have rubbed it down with emery cloth but the ht lead doesn't click into place like it does on the other 3, has anyone had this before and what would be the likely cause

2. Hi Johnny, as its early and the technical guys will be along later, I would suggest the ECU code check on the other thread. If you get some codes, especially code 32 for the O2 sensor or code 14-17 for the fuel injectors, that might help you narrow it down.

Sorry I can't be more help, bit out of practice with the engine stuff

3. johnny25

johnny25 Member

ok cheers for the reply darren

4. lee928

lee928 Member

Hi johnny. Its more than likely your maf sensor version 5's are prone to it. I had my uk 2000 version 5 for 5 years and in that time i went thru 2 maf sensors. I had same problem. Hope this helps. You can try cleaning the sensor with carb cleaner.

5. johnny25

johnny25 Member

hi mate thanks for the reply,mine is a version 6 I think the maf is fine as when I unplug it the car runs proper shite and when I plug it in it runs fine apart from very low in the rev range under 2k also it sometimes back fires when I am reversing it into the garage I think it is either the front 02 or coil pack the only mods I'm aware of is a prodrive exhaust and an apexi air filter not sure it's been mapped but it fly's so could any of these mods cause it if it's not mapped

6. lee928

lee928 Member

Hi johnny ver 5/6 mafs are the same. When you get home from work today try cleaning the maf sensor blade.

7. johnny25

johnny25 Member

ok mate I will do cheers I have some electrical contact cleaner will this work

8. lee928

lee928 Member

It should do pal.

9. johnny25

johnny25 Member

ok cheers mate

10. johnny25

johnny25 Member

right folks I have cleaned the maf with some electrical contact cleaner the car feels worse it is idling between 900-750 rpm and the car is shaking abit on idle, my car has an apexi induction kit do you think this is causing it, the shaking was not as bad until I cleaned it