Caliper painting

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by SteT2000, Apr 4, 2010.

1. SteT2000

SteT2000 Member

Hi all,

Im looking at painting my brakes soon, 4 pots and rear calipers :)

What kind of products am i going to need?

What is the best kind of paint to use? Is hammerite any good?

Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hammerite might work but could flake, not sure its resistant to high temperatures, need high temperature engine paint or something similar, i touched my calipers with red hammerite and it came off :cry:

3. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

used hammerite myself and my boss used it on his and said he had no problems

4. JET

JET New Member

Some Brake calipers are aluminium and some are cast so both will transfer heat differently and hence effect painted surfaces differently :wink:

I used 3 layer (Base, Colour and Lacquar) all high temp, and got I them from paints 4 U for not a lot of money :D

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Better off asking JET, as hes are a lovely colour of blue :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. 3PEAKESLEGACY

3PEAKESLEGACY New Member

Did mine with VHT gloss black paint and it's only flaked since I had to hit the caliper with a rather large hammer.
    BUT make sure you clean all the crud off them first( I was able to use a wire wheel in an angle grinder then degrease with loads of pure acetone).

7. Neil

Neil Active Member

Most paint finishes can cope with the temperatures that calipers get up to.

The basics are the same what ever the finish....

Make sure they are clean as possible, remove all flakey paint finish already present, and key the current finish to ensure good adhesion for the mew finish.

I have used 2k paint finishes ( basically what cars are finished in) with great results...

8. Silver Angel

Silver Angel Active Member

I used caliper paint from BMS its a full kit and wasnt that expensive 8)

9. TonyGTB

TonyGTB Member

I just used smoothrite, it's stayed on for a year now. Just so long as you don't go clonking it with spanners.

10. SteT2000

SteT2000 Member

Thanks some good info there :wink:

Neil - My 4 pots dont look like they got any paint/finish on them to key? Do I jus give them a rub with some rough sandpaper?

What is the best thing to clean them with? Is pure acetone just nail polish remover? :lol:

11. Neil

Neil Active Member

Just simply clean as much crap off them as possible.

A good wire brush will be usefull, or maybe a wire brush attatchment in a drill...

12. JET

JET New Member

Carb cleaner works well as a prep solvent :wink:

13. pete_h

pete_h Member

is it best to take the calipers off or can they be done on the car?

14. JET

JET New Member

I un-bolted mine, removed the pads and masked up the cailiper pistons and seals and then wrapped the hub in a plastic bag and masked up the inner arch with a large painting sheet, didn't fancy re-bleeding them :lol:

15. SteT2000

SteT2000 Member

Looks like its gonna be a good little project :D :lol:

Thanks again for the info :wink:

16. SteT2000

SteT2000 Member

I've had a look on their website, did you get this 3 layer in a kit or did you order all things seperate?

I'd be grateful if you could point me in the right direction of the things i need :wink:

17. JET

JET New Member

I'll Pm you a copy of the order :wink:

18. SteT2000

SteT2000 Member

cheers mate, would appreciate that :wink: