Bugeye Fuel Smell

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by KEV C, Feb 8, 2012.

1. KEV C

KEV C Lifetime and founder member

Over the last few weeks my cars developed a fuel smell when it starts from cold. Had it in the garage and they couldn't find anything but i've just done a search on SN and apparently its a common problem with the bugeyes, so much so that Subaru Uk recalled a lot of the cars.

Its supposed to be something to do with expansion of the pipes under the inlet mainfold, has anybody else on here come across this and had it fixed?

2. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

My bugeye exactly the same, only does it in winter when it's near freezing, got silly quotes of £300+ to fix it!

3. KEV C

This is the post on SN. Its says if you contact a guy called Martin at VOSA first he will advise you what to do when contacting Subaru UK. Just wanted to know if anybody else had the same problem and if there was a cheap fix in case i don't get anywhere with Subaru

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-gene ... ealer.html

4. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

joy just another one of the scooby worries to add to the list, i can sometimes smel fuel, but not always it does say more sti were getting it than the wrx,

good heads up kev

5. KEV C

I don't get it all the time Jake, i just think its basically a problem with the Bugeyes in general.

I'm going to ring the guy at VOSA tomorrow and i'll let you all know how i get on

6. Obey 1

Obey 1 Well-Known Member

fuel smell

i have to sometimes mainly when cold aswell didnt think anything of it just thought cold +choke+car running rich anyway
    same again heads up :wink:

7. This is a common problem on the Bugeye. I stock the modifiction kit and it comprises of the following parts.
    1 X Fuel pipe £112.06
    1 x hose £20.01
    2 x inlet gaskets 9.76 each
    Prices exclude V.A.T and on the kit in stock i can knock of 20% but i only have One set in at the moment.
    To get at the pipe you must remove the inlet manifold...
    01995640542 Richard

8. KEV C

Thanks Richard, going to see what happens with SubaruUk first, might be in touch though

9. GWS73

GWS73 Active Member

Kev, I had something similar a few years back on my classic - so it may be unrelated. I can't remember the ins and outs of it now, but it was some form of 'vent' blockage.

When you remove the petrol cap does it audibly suck air in?

10. KEV C

No m8, its definately only happening when the tempretures freezing, when the car actually warms up the smell goes.

I've spoken to Martin at VOSA this morning and he's really helpful. As soon as i mentioned what the problem was he knew it was a Subaru. He's told me that Subaru will fix the problem as a gesture of goodwill and good company relations although in reality they don't need to do it.

I can't actually find any contact numbers for Subaru UK so i've filled in a Call back form but they've not contacted me yet.

Martin did say if i had any problems to call him back.

I did say that he might be getting a few calls also from you guys :roll: :lol:

11. KEV C

Having said that, i've just searched for the number again and found it straight away :oops:

Subaru UK: 0121 522 2000.

I'll call them in the morning and update the thread :wink:

12. mickp

mickp Well-Known Member

Kev

It's 0121 747 4000 for Subaru technical / customer care (direct) :wink:

13. KEV C

Cheers Mick

14. KEV C

Spoke to Subaru UK this morning and after giving them my VIN number, they've agreed to carry out the repair as if it was a warranty job. They advised me then to speak to my local dealership which is Goldens in huddersfield.

They said they'd never heard of this problem but the car's booked in for an assessment next saturday morning. Can't tell you much more now until i've been over there but the rest of you might as well start the ball rolling and call VOSA first if you're having the same problem.

Good Luck :wink:

15. KEV C

I went over Goldens on saturday morning and they were really helpful. They agreed that the problem is the fuel pipes under the inlet manifold and said they'd carry out the repair once they've spoken to Subaru UK to get authorisation.

Worth a couple of phone calls for all of you that have the early newage models :D

16. markscooby

markscooby Active Member

nice one kev :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Big E

Big E New Member

18. KEV C

I'm not buying anything m8, its being fixed FOC ;)

19. Big E

Big E New Member

Wish I'd done a bit more research mate.... But nice one bud :D