Brake pads

Discussion in 'General LADS chat' started by Jwrx, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Toffee

Toffee New Member

will guess your pads are getting worn bud? really you dontr want less than 5mm of material, otherwise the heat goes straight in to the pad backing material and then in to your brake fluid.

2. Toffee

Toffee New Member

Sounds like your pad material is not up to your driving methods? I did a set of Mintex 1155s in from new in 50 miles, all 12mm gone in a day. I moved over to Carbotech XP12s and had increased braking power and beter pad wear, this is because the pad material was better suited to the heat conditions I was putting them through.

I will add, something has to wear, if your pads are lasting forever (assuming your braking hard?) then its the discs wearing, if your pads are wearing moderately quickly then your discs should last longer.

Getting sparks (sintered material) off your pads is ok, however check your pride and joy paint work, these sparks will be eating through your wax and burning your paint.

Lee.

3. westy27rs

westy27rs New Member

Good feedback lee yes i think that was all in the bedding in process they seem fine now pads are slightly low however they are brakING well now. Never got any fade just alot of brake dust i cant compare them to anything because i have never drivien the car on any other pads they seem good tho will be upgrading to mintex or ferodo ds2500 next time took ages for the godspeed pads to be half decent

4. Toffee

Toffee New Member

I thought the ds2500 were a brilliant road pad, anyone who says different hasn't put them through a thorough heat cycle. if you do drive quickly and use your brakes hard you may at first find the ds2500s a little inconsistent. I found following the standard bedding in procedure ok, but after that a quick run up to 100plus and absolutely slamming the brakes on until almost stopped, do that a couple of times and then cruise. straight away the biting point will rise on the pedal and then your brakes will go crap because of the excessive heat, let them cool down and bingo, they are then bob on!

you must let them cool down properly though, and be careful after the heavy stops because your pedal will go to the floor!! :D