Any advice to prepare brand new wheels?

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Graphite, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Graphite

Graphite 23rd June 2016 - Vote LEAVE EU!

getting excited about my new wheels for Christmas... I've had lots of sets of wheels but never a set all wrapped up in cling film and sitting in cardboard boxes straight from the factory :cool:

I have got my tyres on order from Camskill now so looking forward to getting them on.

I have some Poorboys wheel sealant - I was going to give them all a couple of coats of that before getting the tyres fitted... Is that enough? Should I do the area of the rim which is covered by the tyre as well?

Any advice appreciated...

Also any recommendations for tyre valve stems? - are the pretty alloy ones OK?

Cheers :wasntme:

ProdriveWagon likes this.
  2. T1RONE

T1RONE Active Member

Poorboys wheel sealant is great. I used to use that but only use Finishkare sealant on my wheels now, as in my opinion it protects for longer and buffs off just as easy. I always apply at the back of the wheel as well, basically on all places exposed to brake dust and road grimes. The only other thing I would do is get some soft thin cloth, cut to the size of your socket and locking nut, apply a thin double sided sticky tape, and wrap around the sockets. I've found this to stop the insides of the wheel getting scratched where the locking nuts locate

ProdriveWagon, Graphite and mickp like this.
  3. mickp

mickp Well-Known Member

Great advice from Ryan.

ProdriveWagon, T1RONE and Graphite like this.
  4. Graphite

Cheers guys :cool:

5. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

You can buy wheel socketa with plastic covers round them to stop scratching too.

6. Graphite

What about using a piece of shrink-wrap?

7. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

8. thatscoobyrocks

thatscoobyrocks Well-Known Member

Ditto on protecting the socket.

I always make sure the studs don't dry up with a small amount of lubricant so its easy to remove a torqued wheel nut easily.

I have always washed new out of the box wheels, apply 2 polish coats and then 2 coats of wheel sealer in my case Poorboys but I'm hooked on the pink stuff now. Once they are protected they seem to keep the shine more easily, every 6 months I repeat the process to protect them.

Andy

9. ProdriveWagon

ProdriveWagon 3rd Scoob = an ej20 engined Hatch

After the Poorboys, try one of Boothys sealants on top, lasts AGES

10. buggygx

buggygx Member

I've got some 'Auto Finesse Mint Rims', that works really well for me, but keeping multi spokes clean long term is a royal pain in the A!